Which one...

adkonz

Hey guys...I was on here a little while back and haven't been on much since. School started. *frown*. SOme of you might remember me...Anyway, i go to buy this software, Cakewalk Home Studio 2004, it's what everyone recommended. I come to find out it's not compatible on Windows 98. that's what it says on the order form anyway. So what is the next best program that I can get for my laptop??? I'll worry about prices later, just tell me what you think i need if i'm going to record vocals, guitar and piano and then mix them all on the same program. Ok, thanx!!
CHA,
Amber

Hi Amber,

I'm running HS2004XL with Win98SE. I can't honestly say it's completely trouble-free - but it does run.

My biggest gripe is that I can't shut down from the Start menu. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Shut Down from the Close Programs dialogue box. There's probably a driver somewhere that's causing the grief. Other than that it runs fine.

Asus P4PE
Pentium IV 2.4GHz
512MB Hynix RAM
Terratec EWX 24/96 sound card
Graphics Master G4 MX400 video card
Brand spnking new Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX 17" monitor.

--
BluesMeister

I would recommend upgrading to XP. I keep seeing more and more software that's not compatible with 98. It will eventually be obsolete anyway so might as well make the plunge now this way you can use HS2004.

Ok, I found some software for XP that's real cheap, so i think i will upgrade, just becuase, even though bluesmeister says it works fine, but now my question is, should i get home studio 2004 or home studio 2004 XL? Is XL just an upgrade? Do you guys recommend it or can i get by just as well with home studio 2004??

Amber,

You won't be dissapointed with HS2004. Essentially it's the same engine as the previous version of Sonar.

I have HS2004XL, and to be really honest I don't think the extra features are warranted in my particular case. You may find the extra goodies to be essential and well worth the extra cost.

The SoundFont player Dyad DXi is OK, but not as easy to use nor as flexible as Virtual Sampler 3. www.vsampler3.com But Dyad costs a lot less than VS3 :)

You can surf over to CakeWalk's site and check out the differences betweeen HS2004 & HS2004XL

--
BluesMeister

Back