which one is better the v93 or v67?

Mizchif

which one is better for recording vocals with?
I 'm hearing good things abou tboth of these

but one is cheaper

hmmm
can anyone help?

I only have the V67. It has a boost of 8 to 10 dB in the 10k to 14k range, and has a marked proximity effect. The v93 is said to be flatter and more neutral.

I believe that Chessrock has both mics and he likes the v93 better and may post his opinion.

I think this is a case where you're going to have to try both mics and see which one you prefer - a lot of it will be personal taste and how each one sounds with a particular voice.

I don't know if you can still get the v67 from Mars for $90-$100. If not, the going price seems to be $180 with shock mount, and the v93 is cheaper at $150 with same.

Hope this helps.

crazydoc said:
I only have the V67. It has a boost of 8 to 10 dB in the 10k to 14k range, and has a marked proximity effect. The v93 is said to be flatter and more neutral.
If the V93 is similar to the MXL2003, then it's brighter than the V67G. I don't hear any of the 8 to 10dB boost at 10k to 14kHz you mention. To me, it sounds like the V67G goes out pretty smooth to about 14 kHz, then rolls off gently from there.

Harvey
My comments about the v93 were due to reading threads like these:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49859&highlight=marshall+v93
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49114&highlight=marshall+v93

Marshall's frequency response curves show the v67 with a 2-3 dB rise from 10k to 20 k. They show the 2003 with a flat response from 20Hz to 20k, then some strange 20k to 23k region on a different scale than the rest of the graph showing a 6dB rise. I have to take that and the flat response from 20Hz to 50Hz with a grain of salt - doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Marshall's curves.

I checked the response of my own v67 using my own flakey methods I posted elsewhere in this forum, which showed -50dB@7k, -42 dB@10k,-43dB@12k, -44dB@14k, and-56dB@16k, a 12dB range. Attached are linear curves for the v67 compared to the ECM8000 for reference. This was the basis for my comment about the v67 freq response.
To my ears (which are neither flat nor experienced) my mic does seem somewhat bright, especially when compared to the SP B1.

However, I will certainly defer to your experience and your ears, and the possibility that either my individual mic is an outlier in the v67 population or that my test methods are full of shit. :)

Attachments

• 67_8000.jpg
    67_8000.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 53
Frequency graphs aside, I am going to comment with what my ears tell me about the two mics, since I own both. This is all subjective, but I found the V67 more colored than the V93(same mic as the 2003). The V67 seems to have a bit more of a full bodied sound in the low mids. I never found it extremely bright either. The V93 has less of that full bodied sound, which makes it seem more neutral in use. It does seem to have a bit more high end, but its upper high end and it seems very smooth to me.

I like both mics a lot, but you should hear both on your voice before you buy. The v93 comes with a shock mount and has a switch for a 10db pad or a bass rolloff. You can use one or the other but not both. The v67 has no pad or bass rolloff. Its cheaper too!

Both are nice mics for vocals. Try both if you can.

crazydoc,

If the V93 is exactly the same as the 2003, then I'm with crawdad 100% on this one; my impressions of both mics are exactly the same as his impressions.

Ditto to the above comments.

I like the v93/2003's bass rolloff and pad, which, to me at least, makes it a better mic for what I do. Without the bass rolloff, it sounds pretty flat, and with it, it sounds a little bright (very smooth though - not harsh).

I like the v93 A LOT on accoustic guitars, by the way.

I had the opportunity to take both of those home to compare and I ended up keeping the V93. The 67 was fine but the 93 just worked better for me on acoustics and vocals.

Back