Which Of these 2 mics should I use for home recording vocals?? opinions please

abbo69nz

Hi there, I recently bought a samson 8kit microphone setup, to mic my kit, Im impressed by these entry level mics, as I was on a budget,

My question is, currently we use a shure sm58a beta mic to track our vocals when doind our recording, I was just curious as to wether It would be more beneficial
to use the samson C01 condenser mic to record the vocals instead? My vocalist is away for a few weeks so I can't try it at the moment but I was interested to get some opinions from you guys in the meantime??
thanks

What style of vocals are they? If you have harsh rock style vocals a the Shure would be preferable, but if you have quite intimate and delicate vocal lines I would recommend your condenser or investing into nicer condenser which could double as a room mic for your drums. Either way, personally I don't like using dynamic mics for vocal recording if I have a choice, I find they lack the intense clarity to cut through in a mix.

Regardless, try EVERYTHING! and do what sounds best.

Trout

The Samson C01 was the FIRST EVER LDC i ever owned and still have it as i have a sentimental attachment to it (although it's not left it's box in about 4 years now, the last time i used it was for a second kick mic as an experiment and it was quite nice). i used it mainly on vocals and acoustic guitar when i first had it and it was a big step up from the SM58 i had been using imo. it had a much more natural sound in comparison to a 58 and had more high's and low's. it was never really bad but after a while i was crying out for sometime more sensitive and something a bit cleaner and my next purchase was an sE2200a. i used both the sE2200a and C01 on acoustic guitar for years later for home recording stuff, but stopped using it on vocals.

long story short; i found it better than an 58 on vocals, but for only a bit more money there may be better options. try it and see :)

The Samson C01 was the FIRST EVER LDC i ever owned and still have it as i have a sentimental attachment to it (although it's not left it's box in about 4 years now, the last time i used it was for a second kick mic as an experiment and it was quite nice). i used it mainly on vocals and acoustic guitar when i first had it and it was a big step up from the SM58 i had been using imo. it had a much more natural sound in comparison to a 58 and had more high's and low's. it was never really bad but after a while i was crying out for sometime more sensitive and something a bit cleaner and my next purchase was an sE2200a. i used both the sE2200a and C01 on acoustic guitar for years later for home recording stuff, but stopped using it on vocals.

long story short; i found it better than an 58 on vocals, but for only a bit more money there may be better options. try it and see :)

Cool cheers for the tips, Ill have to give it a try and see
thanks

Back