Which normal computer speakers would work best for monitoring?

papusnance

Hi , i have low budget so i can't just go and buy some professional monitoring system for mixing right.

I am wondering if there is a certain model of regular speakers that work nice as monitors, with a very neutral EQ ...etc.

I am currently using my Genius SP-F200 speakers
they look like this hahah

Any recomendations ?

Computer speakers? None.

If you have a reasonably nice stereo system, that could possibly help some - But "reasonably nice" means "not crap" also...

hmmm

with stereo system you mean something like the sony GRX5?
i cant post a link cause i don't have enough posts yet

I have one at home

hmmm

with stereo system you mean something like the sony GRX5?
i cant post a link cause i don't have enough posts yet

I have one at home

would be better then PC speakers but it wouldn't give you a good or accurate mix.

cool ! well i guess i will have to test monitoring with lots of different speakers to see if it is well mixed to sound right in most audio systems

Even the cheapest smallest near-field monitors on clearance or the used table at Guitarded Center would be better than computer speakers.

There is no such thing as, "I wish I bought wimpier cheaper speakers than these really nice ones." So save up and invest a little more into it, you'll be happier.

check craigslist if money is tight my friend. Monitors are a key component to audio engineering. How are you to know if something sounds good or not if your hearing everything through crappy monitors? It's an investment, and monitors are one of the things you can have forever as well.

There is no such thing as, "I wish I bought wimpier cheaper speakers than these really nice ones." So save up and invest a little more into it, you'll be happier.
Undoubtedly. The absolute most important purchase you will ever make as far as audio is concerned, is your monitoring chain.
Grab some M-Audio AV30's... they are pretty cheap and better than any computer speakers!
Those are junk (sorry - just calling 'em as I see 'em). Better than "computer speakers?" Maybe so (but barely).

Buy cheap - Buy (at least) twice.

Rule #1 (of only around 2 that I really know of off hand) of audio is that no matter your years of experience, no matter how extensive and developed your listening skills, no matter your selection of gear, you will only ever hear as well as your monitoring chain allows you to hear. Period. End of story, no exceptions, some settling of contents may occur, based on 20% down and 48 monthly payments.

For the record, "Rule #2" is that no matter how amazingly accurate and consistent your monitoring chain may be, it will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be.

The rest of your gear -- All of it -- takes a back seat to your monitoring chain and room. Nothing else even comes close.

For the record, "Rule #2" is that no matter how amazingly accurate and consistent your monitoring chain may be, it will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be.

The rest of your gear -- All of it -- takes a back seat to your monitoring chain and room. Nothing else even comes close.

You can see this for yourself by testing your room with REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page - the graph will show you where your frequencies are peaking and dipping. A room can literally suck out certain frequencies and double or triple others so it makes a huge difference. Also the reflections can muddy the sound field horribly...

Monitors in an untreated room is like watching a Hi-Def 70" Plasma screen through the bottom of a coke bottle...

Look around. I got my pair of KRK RP5's on ebay for $150. Are they the best? Not even close. But they are darn good, especially for 75 bucks a pop.

Drew

You can see this for yourself by testing your room with REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page - the graph will show you where your frequencies are peaking and dipping. A room can literally suck out certain frequencies and double or triple others so it makes a huge difference. Also the reflections can muddy the sound field horribly...

What microphone would you recommend to get the most accurate readings from the room? Cuz an inappropriate mic can color the measurements just as much as the room colors your monitors' performance.

Are there any specific reference measurement microphones out there worth investing in? Cuz I have the idea of getting this program on a laptop, then getting a small preamp and proper microphone, to do our band room, my TV room, friends' TV rooms, my jamming room, other people's homes.... make the investment worthwhile.

Cuz an inappropriate mic can color the measurements just as much as the room colors your monitors' performance.
Even a reasonably decent measurement mic (Behringer's $40 POS is acceptable) will be flatter than the response of the best rooms - let alone an untreated room.

You're looking for problems that might swing 30, 40, 50dB at specific frequencies. If the mic's response is off by a dB or three, it's still going to hear what's happening. You're not looking for mic - You're looking for elephants.

Hi , i have low budget so i can't just go and buy some professional monitoring system for mixing right.

I am wondering if there is a certain model of regular speakers that work nice as monitors, with a very neutral EQ ...etc.

I am currently using my Genius SP-F200 speakers
they look like this hahah

Any recomendations ?

I would look at the smaller KrK Rokkits, look at second hand...if budget is really tight try behringers MS range...but these are just to get you started

folks will tell you theres nothing under $500 worth while (if not more), people will tell you you cant mix in an untreated room, people will tell you you cant mix on headphones

all are true to an extent but it sounds like you are staring out...so get started and learn, you'll soon realise when you have to upgrade

I dont buy into the buy cheap buy twice, it might be the case but Ive made a profit on most of the gear Ive sold on in recent years...and sitting twiddling your thumbs whilst waiting for "that" piece of equipment is never ending...getting on with it and learn

welcome aboard

Off topic.. i see youre in Costa Rica? my friends own Kakau in Santa Ana.....looks a beautiful place :)

Even a decent home stereo will get ya goin and better than computer speakers.

Yeah, there's gonna be trial and error. I burned a lot of CD's, poked em in different playback systems, took notes of what sounded wrong, burned more CD's etc... and LEARNED my system in my room and got decent results.
Not great but decent.
As you go, you'll start to hear what ya wanna upgrade and better yet WHY...
Roll with ya got right now. Learn it. Upgrade when ya can.
The biggest thing is to just jump in.

folks will tell you theres nothing under $500 worth while (if not more), people will tell you you cant mix in an untreated room, people will tell you you cant mix on headphones

all are true to an extent but it sounds like you are staring out...so get started and learn, you'll soon realise when you have to upgrade

I dont buy into the buy cheap buy twice......and sitting twiddling your thumbs whilst waiting for "that" piece of equipment is never ending..........get on with it and learn

Even a decent home stereo will get ya goin and better than computer speakers.

Yeah, there's gonna be trial and error.
And LEARNED my system in my room and got decent results.
Not great but decent.
As you go, you'll start to hear what ya wanna upgrade and better yet WHY...
Roll with ya got right now. Learn it. Upgrade when ya can.
The biggest thing is to just jump in.
I won't disagree with Massive because in the bigger picture, his point [oft made round these parts] is crucial to our game and in my opinion is daft to ignore. However I maintain that there are few n0Obzzzz when starting out that are in a position to truly, funadamentally grasp the practical reality of that, much less know how to remedy what is being heard. It takes practice and developing ears. That's why I go with KC and Dogbreath's points about "just get the ball rolling". I believe progression is part of the early lifeblood of recording and most people that start recording and mixing their stuff want to do just that. Record. Mix. It's as the results vary and the frustration sets in, that upgrading, experimentation and going deeper become de rigeur.
As for 'buy cheap buy twice', that's a natural part of progression. There's not many of us that can afford the top of the range Mercedes as our first car. Most of us will buy cheaply and the car still gets us about. Then eventually we move on and 'up'.
I wonder how many of the vast swathe of people recording at home are in exactly the same state they were when they began. And use the same equipment as their main goto. And have never upgraded. Or gotten new stuff. Or had to find out about nulls, nodes and all the other things for themselves {and then noticed the improvements when they rectified}.

As for 'buy cheap buy twice', that's a natural part of progression. There's not many of us that can afford the top of the range Mercedes as our first car. Most of us will buy cheaply and the car still gets us about. Then eventually we move on and 'up'.
Just to clarify -- I'm not suggesting anyone go out and drop $20,000 on monitoring and room treatments (although I certainly wouldn't argue against it either - ever). I'd just rather they hold off and save up for "reasonable" than dive into "garbage" -- Listening skills are everything - and they can only develop as long as the monitoring chain is capable of more than the listener. All those "less than extraordinary" boxes out there are outgrown in a week, while a more substantial speaker can actually be used to train the ear.

Anyone can grab a set of "cheesy" monitors and quickly start making recordings. But the point where people usually start making really good recordings is somewhere shortly after they get some really good monitors.

Back