Which noise reduction for Teac A-6100?

needledrop

Hello again all,
I've started to mixdown my latest album and I want to "master" it to my 2 track A-6100, but I'm getting a lot of inherent noise on my recordings, I was wondering if this is typical and what noise reduction unit I should be on the lookout for. I did a test and recorded nothing , just the machine (monitor on source), and at 0 vu on the output knob, listening through headphones, theres a kind of white noise storm going on.
Thanks.

Hello again all,
I've started to mixdown my latest album and I want to "master" it to my 2 track A-6100, but I'm getting a lot of inherent noise on my recordings, I was wondering if this is typical and what noise reduction unit I should be on the lookout for. I did a test and recorded nothing , just the machine (monitor on source), and at 0 vu on the output knob, listening through headphones, theres a kind of white noise storm going on.
Thanks.

You say you did a test but recorded nothing, just pressed record without any input signal? Yeah, of course you're gonna hear some white hiss, noise, especially when you crank up the headphones to an unreasonable level, without any signal recorded. Try recording [some music material], at and below 0db and then check if the hiss bothers you. In fact, can you post a sample here? Is the A-6100 a true 2 track or half track deck or two tracks one direction and 2 tracks the other direction? If it's a half track, then you shouldn't be getting excessive hiss, especially with music material, even recorded kinda low. Heck, even my 4 track 3440 I can master to 'cause the hiss is not bad at all and barely audible with music material recorded, and not hot either mind you. Don't start thinking noise reduction just yet.

----

Back