Which monitors to go for? (KRK RP-5 or KRK RP-6)

Will_R

Bass player, apparently
Im looking at getting a cheapish set of monitors (will be my first set, and hopefully they will last a bit).

I guess im not just looking at the KRKs, there are a few others i've looked at so far, if anyone has any recommendations, it would be appreciated :)

KRK RP-5
KRK RP-6
(with the KRKs, in the nearer future i'd look into getting the KRK RP-10S sub)

Yamaha HS50M
Behringer Truth series (danger danger will robinson? [no, not my surname])

From all i've read so-far, the RPs with the sub would make a pretty decent monitoring layout, is there any great benifit in getting the PR6 over the RP5, other than the higher output, slightly lower range, and difference in octave filter?

Cheers

-Will

For what it matters, its going to be used in a small room (~10.5 ft x 13 ft ), thats one of the reasons i've avoided mentioning any larger monitors.

I have about that size room for my studio and I have the RP5's with no subwoofer.

I tried a subwoofer then sent it back because it seemed like overkill for the size of the room.

If the RP5's stopped working for some reason I would replace them in a heartbeat. They are well made, non fatiguing and less 'bottomy' sounding than the RP6's.

I can't comment on the other two (I was in an unfamiliar room with the KRK's....never heard the Behringer's [more danger?]...

The Yamaha's are definately good. Especially for the price. However, don't be fooled into thinking they're the NS10's reborn. They're not. They're a completely different set of speakers.

Nevertheless, they get MY vote (whatever that's worth...).

This is my opinion (appearently I have to state this sort of thing or people will fiercly oppose...:D), but they're very good for mixing vocals & hi-hats. If they're gonna be your main pair, I'd suggest getting a sub...

I have the RP6's, I got them as a gift and they were my first pair of monitors. Expect a learning curve getting used to listening to things on them compared to whatever stereo system/computer speakers you were using before.

Back