Which Monitoring Headphones Should I Buy?

Mynameistrouble

Hello,

I've had a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770 headphones that I've been using as my starting point in mixing for over 11 years now - probably the best christmas present I've ever received.

However, after over a decade of hard use, they are a little worse for wear, and I feel it may be time to give them a well-earned retirement. Consequently I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones for mixing, and I could do with some guidance. As I didn't buy the DT770s myself I have no idea what to look for or what makes/models are the best.

As I live in the centre of London I tend to do the majority of my mixing on 'phones, and as such I tend to wear them for extended periods; whichever pair I get needs to be comfortable. For the same reason, I want to be able to rely on what I'm hearing without needing to do too much reference to external monitors (I have a pair of Genelec 8020As, but I would have some very angry neighbours if I used them all the time). In terms of price-range I'm looking at the best pair I can get for £200-£300. Otherwise, I'm open to any suggestions you guys have.

I look forward to hearing what's good these days!

Regards,
Richard

Back