Which mics to record percussion samples?

freeztar

I'm planning on making a Battery drum kit featuring samples of various Brazilian instruments that I own: Surdo (bass drum), Cuica (think straw and lid), Berimbau (like a bow with a metal string and a resonator), Pandeiro (tambourine), Caixa (tribal shaker), and an Egg Shaker.

I would like some suggestions on which of my mics I should use on each instrument, and maybe some placement suggestions.

Mics I own:
AT4040,SPB1,SM57,EV674 (x2),Shure BG4.1,Shure 516EQ (x2),EV627b (x2),AT PR99

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you playing the instruments, or someone else, and you record?
You'd get a better performance if you are the percussionist than sampling into Battery, even if your programming skills are adaquate.

I don't get it.

Otherwise yeah 4040, and 57. 4.1+4040 might help you with the Berimbau& cuica. depends on your room enviroment.

on all instruments? I was thinking of a dynamic or two for the bass drum. The AT4040 is definitly the best of what I have for shaker and probably tambourine, because of its good high end response. I have yet to get a good recording of the cuica and berimbau with the mics I have. I'm sure it's possible, but some experienced direction would be great because otherwise it could take me a year or more if I have to experiment with every combination.

Tonio said:
Are you playing the instruments, or someone else, and you record?
You'd get a better performance if you are the percussionist than sampling into Battery, even if your programming skills are adaquate.

I don't get it.

Otherwise yeah 4040, and 57. 4.1+4040 might help you with the Berimbau& cuica. depends on your room enviroment.

Thanks Tonio! My room is slightly less than ok, but I know certain positions where it sounds better. I plan on close micing for the most part.
The purpose of doing this project is twofold. One, I want to distribute this kit to other musicians who might not have access/skills/money for Brazilian percussion. Also, If I just want a short and simple percussion part in my songs, then it is easier to program midi through battery than to haul out all my mics and spend hours setting them up properly, recording them, and editing. Most of the time I will just play the instruments, but sometimes it's easier not to. Also, the pandeiro is extremely difficult to play properly. It's hard for me to keep the precise rythym for extended durations, so a battery kit would be a nice alternative. I also plan on adding some MIDI grooves to give unexperienced people the oppurtunity to simply add Brazilian parts to their songs and at the same time analyze and learn how the instruments are played and what they should ideally sound like.

Gotcha on the 2 fold deal.
Berimbau is rather hard to capture. Try the 4040 or 4.1 about head height pointing in general toward the gourd about 12" to 20" out to get the overall tone, are you using a caxixi too? If so, sm57 near the gourd/caxixi will help get the caxixi, the string transients and the tone from the gourd variations(open closed).
Pandiero use the 4040 or 4.1-kinda in the area similar to Berimbau since you want the jingles and skin tone. You might have to move the mic around to get the balance you want (jungle vs. skin tone.)
Surdo, put the 57 close to beater(kinda like a kick DRUM) and 4040 up and out, as an alternative you can use the 4040 close or by itself in the far field it really depends on the drum vs room acoustics.

Yup Pandiero is killer without much experience especially at fast tempos.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

T

Back