Which mics to buy?

zackformula

Hey everyone, I'm new to recording and am looking for some good mics. Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am looking for:

Good vocal mic ($200 - $300)

Kick drum mic ($200 max) (maybe AKG D112?)

Snare drum mic ($100 max) (maybe Shure 57?)

2 matched condensers for overheads and acoustic guitar (not sure, $300-$500 for pair)

Thanks for any help.

I'm no expert....

I just bought (for the kick) a Shure beta 52...before this I was using a 57 (even tried a 58) and I can tell you I'm happy w/ my investment...I've only heard good things about the 112 as well

as for everything else...I use 57's on toms and snare...I can't comment on this because I only used the 57's (tried my 58's and they sucked....)and nothing else...

I enjoy is playing w/ the position of the mics and getting rid of "rings" and other unwanted noise the drum makes...(and drinking beer @ the same time...) My drummer enjoys tweaking the mic's as well as drinking...I have another buddy who plays the drums and he's just like "throw the mics up and lets go" ....no patience....I think you gotto have patience (and cold beer)

I'm in the market for new OH's as well...After reading on these forums I heard the Rode NT5's are quite common....(w/ good feedback)...hopefully you'll get some other feedback....

good luck

zackformula said:
Hey everyone, I'm new to recording and am looking for some good mics. Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am looking for:

Good vocal mic ($200 - $300)

I like Rode Large Diaphragms. I have the NT1 and enjoy it. If you can score the NTK, go fer it.

Originally posted by zackformula Kick drum mic ($200 max) (maybe AKG D112?)[/B]

I have and dig the D112. Can be had for under $200. go on ebay!

Originally posted by zackformula Snare drum mic ($100 max) (maybe Shure 57?)[/B]

57 would be fine but you can also hunt for a cheapie Sennheiser 421.

Originally posted by zackformula 2 matched condensers for overheads and acoustic guitar (not sure, $300-$500 for pair)[/B]

Oktava 012's, Rode NT5's,

Originally posted by zackformula Thanks for any help. [/B]

Hope I at least confirmed many of these suggestions that you must have already suspected. :)

There are tons of answers to questions like this, but I'll try.

Firstly, always try things out before you buy if you can. But, (a fact which some people here don't seem to always realise), you can't always (eg. I live in New Zealand, and there are no Marshall mic importers here, so I had to buy on recommendations).

It would be helpful to know what you're aiming to be recording, and what other gear you're using. Things will be quite different if you're tracking an entire band at once, doing metal, vs doing things one at a time, doing country (or whatever).

Those things said, it seems like you've got up to $1100 to buy mics with, so here are a few suggestions...

What I have is...
Vocals - Studio Projects C1, ($200), Rode NT1 ($200)
Kick - Peavey (don't laugh, it's actually a good mic, do a search) 520i (got for $80 second hand)
Snare - SM57 ($80)
Overheads - Pair of MXL 603's ($150)

I really like all my mics, and I've built them up over time with varying degrees of experience.

If I was starting over again, with $1100, I'd probably do something like...

Vocals - Rode NTK ($400)
(But I might also consider Studio Projects C1 ($200), AT4033 (?$300) BLUE Baby Bottle (?$500), MXL v69 ($279), MXL v67 ($90) or a combination...
Kick - Sennheiser MD421 ($300) (over your budget but also very useful for vocals, horns, snare, guitar and bass amps,...)
Snare - SM57 ($80)
Overheads - This is where I think it gets tricky - you essentially have$320 to play with. With this money you could get:
- 2 Oktava MC012's on sale at GC $100 plus 2 Studio Projects B1's $160
- 2 MXL 603's ($150) and a bit left over to spend on another vocal/utility mic such as SP B3, Cad M179, or some tom mics (more sm57's, perhaps?)

Good luck,
Steve

vocal mic - Marshall MXLv67

kick - Audix D6

snare - Shure sm57

overheads/acoustic - so many choices with that budget
Marshall MXL603's
Oktava MK012's
Studio Projects C4's
the list goes on

thanks

Thanks a lot everybody. I'm going to be recording rock and punk bands, also some hip hop vocals. I use Cubase SX and a Mackie VLZ-Pro mixer.

So do a lot of people use that Marshall MXLv67 for vox?

I'm having a tough time deciding on which overheads to get.

The Marshall 603's look good but so do the Studio Projects C4's...
and then ther are the Rode NT5's. What would be the best for loud rock drums?

Thanks again

I use a Marshall MXL v69 ($299) for vocals. It's pretty similar in its specs to the v67, but uses tube technology and it has that sound! Just watch out and use it upside down so the heat from the body doesn't damage your capsule! :):)

The differences are that the 69 has a supposed 10Hz more bottom end (not that it really matters for a vocal mic), a smaller cardioid pattern (67 is a "wide cardioid" according to the mxl website), and a lower equivalent noise level.

Aside from that, I just liked the sound of it better when I used the two of them.

I just bought a (used) pair of Studio Project C4, specifically for over heads and acoustic guitar. These are replacing an ancient pair of SDC electrets I've owned for the last 30 years.

I chose them over the Rode NT5 because they have a higher top end, where the NT5 rolls off. The omni capsules with the C4 are huge plus, where the NT5 does not offer this. I want to close mic acoustic instruments without the proximity effect in inherent in cardioid mics.

The impressive part with all the Rode mics is their fabulous construction quality.

I'm using the ATM25 for kick, and toms. This was based on a lot of research here, and RO. The common analysis is the ATM25 is the most "natural" sounding kick. For me, they provide a fat, round drum tone. They are hypercardioid, so bleed is minimal, much less than what I was getting with SM57. The ATM25 works well for micing bass cabs.

The Audix D6 is reputed to be the new hot ticket for kick drums. It is supposed to have the most oomph and requires the least EQ to sound good. The D112 is a favorite, but many claim it sounds like a bouncing basket ball on kick. I've only heard them used in clubs, not on a recording.

I just picked up an Audix D1 and D3. The D1 is targeted at snare, and the D3 at hat or guitar cabs. I've not used either yet, as they are still in transit. I want to own an Audix D4 just for a different, full-range flavor.

I've heard the Beyer M201 on snare recordings: very, very nice. Full range, low output for extreme close micing without overdriving your preamp channel. They are about $175 new from www.fullcompass.com.

Thanks again, I think I'm leaning toward the Studio Projects C4's for overheads and acoustic, anybody for the Rode NT5's?

Does anyone know how the AT3035 is for male vox? What about Rode NT1000? Those MXL v67's are pretty inexpensive though, maybe I should pick one of those up.

Thanks

A really good all purpose mic is the audio Technica 4033. I do not think they make them anymore but if you can find a used one it will be ver cheap and very good. The newer and available 4055 is very good as well but a bit more money.

Back