Which Mics for banjo

banjomanwv

Im working on my second CD and play Bluegrass, specifically banjo. Ive got a few ideas from some pros like the AT 4033 and the KM-184 but do any of you have any experince with banjo?. Im looking for something to capture the natural sound of the banjo nothing else.

Either of those condensors will do a great job recording banjo, and will sound even better in a really good room.

All the old-timey radio and record stuff was done with ribbon mics. That was the peak of US audio technology back in the 40's and 50's.

Check out the Cascade Fathead.

Im working on my second CD and play Bluegrass, specifically banjo. Ive got a few ideas from some pros like the AT 4033 and the KM-184 but do any of you have any experince with banjo?. Im looking for something to capture the natural sound of the banjo nothing else.

I've seen many a microphone work well on a banjo. It's the player and his ability to work the microphone as part of his instrument that makes the performance shine.

I've been using my Apex 460 for my banjo. For whatever reason, it comes off pretty smooth with a little EQ. My other condensers always seem too harsh, and I have to EQ the hell out of the recordings...

No problem, Im actually on a strict budget and need to sell something first, were adopting a couple kids so im tight.

for my banjo I always use an apex 205 ribbon mic. any cheap ribbon mic sounds MILES better than a condensor on banjo imho.

I don't think I'm that unusual either based on a couple of bluegrass engineers I had coffee with a few months ago.

Then there are several -$100. ribbons out there on the new market. Even less if you find one used. Criag's list and evil bay is ramped with them from people who thought they would sound good on voices and found out other wise. ;)

Try a SM57. I'm serious. I have 4033's and KM184's but if you're trying to tight mic it, give a 57 a shot.

Then there are several -$100. ribbons out there on the new market. Even less if you find one used. Criag's list and evil bay is ramped with them from people who thought they would sound good on voices and found out other wise. ;)

or didn't know how to eq. ribbons were the mic of choice for some pretty amazing valbums when I was growing up, although still people use them on guitar cabs and brass because they sound just right without much work in the mix (which is the whole point of having multiple mics isn't it... :-)

or didn't know how to eq. ribbons were the mic of choice for some pretty amazing valbums when I was growing up, although still people use them on guitar cabs and brass because they sound just right without much work in the mix (which is the whole point of having multiple mics isn't it... :-)

Your spot on with this one Don ..... as usual! ;)

I use an Equation F.20 for banjo, and comes thru very true. runs about $499.
But one of my favorite bluegrass banjo players, Ronnie Stewart, used two mics, and I bet I couldn't afford either one... :)
Although on stage he has told me he really just likes the -57.

I looked up on some sources on the web, and found that a Neumann KM-84 condenser positioned in the middle of the bottom of the bridge and the tension hoop coupled with the cheaper Audix SCX-25A large membrane mic works great as a 2-mic combination. Again, probably more money that I could spend.

I have used LDCs, SDCs, and 57s on banjo and liked the 57 the best of those types. But my favorite of mine is the Fat Head Ribbon.

Back