Which Mic??

dmbfan1981

Shure SM7b or AT4050

I have narrowed my selection down to two mics. I am going to order one this weekend and need help making my final decision.

It will be used mainly for male vocals. I play acoustic rock type of music. I already have an AT3035 for use micing my acoustic ( and plan on ordering a naiant mic for micing the 12th fret area )

I was almost completely set on ordering the AT4050. However, I was just watching a behind the scenes recording video of John Mayer recording a song at Avatar studios in NYC. He used the SM7 to record during a live recording session and to my surprise he also used the same mic when re-tracking the vocals for a final cut.

I know the AT4050 has more uses and patterns, but strictly for my use, ( male vocals )which would do the best for me? Thanks.

I should also add, I am using an M-audio DMP3 incase the SM7 requires way too much gain for that to provide. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thats a hard call man..both get a good amount of praise, however id say the sm7 gets a bit more..and if u have his type of voice and liked how it sounded, i'd say go sm7.

I have a couple of each mic. While both are very good mics, I'd get the SM7. Excellent vocal mic. Mine has been picked regularly over my 4050s for recording male and female vocals. So regularly, in fact, that I bought a second one.

My vote is for the SM7 as well and I wouldn't worry much about your DMP3, from my experience it's got plenty of clean gain.

Thanks guys. I can probably get the SM7 for cheaper, so in a way, thats what I was hoping to hear.
Anyone know the difference between the A and B models? Is it just a newer model with a different design or is one significantly better/worse than the other? thanks.

Thanks guys. I can probably get the SM7 for cheaper, so in a way, thats what I was hoping to hear.
Anyone know the difference between the A and B models? Is it just a newer model with a different design or is one significantly better/worse than the other? thanks.

The SM7b is the current model. It has a better mount than the SM7a and better shielding than the SM7. The switches for the SM7b are on the outside of the case whereas on the SM7, they are covered by a screw on panel. They all sound about the same. The current mount will fit the SM7a and SM7 if you are inclined to buy one of those and then get the newer mount. I have 2 SM7s. Unless you want to chase the used market, the only thing you can buy new is the SM7b. Shop around on the internet and you should be able to pick up a new SM7b for less than $325.

Back