Which Mic Works Best W/ Modeling Software?

Keith L

With all the mic sims available these days, I was wondering which microphone works best with them. I use an SM57- will this do, or is there a mic out there which will better utilize the simulator software?

Since modelling software can only work with the signal that is put through it and cant tell what the frequency response of the mic that you used is, I would guess that it would work best with the most accurate and neutral microphone possible. This would be a small diaphragm condenser like the Shure SM 81.

I havent tried this so I'm guessing, but logic tells me it is probably true.

I could be wrong.

ps. I'm sorry vox, for snitching your answer, but I couldn't help myself. :) ds.

pps. The microphones most commonly labeled as "almost too accurate" is the Earthworks mics. dds.

Keith
Modeling software has always been on my list.
Do you have any recommendations and/or sights to check out?

Thanks

Major- The first thing that comes to mind is Antares. I don't use a pc-based system, so I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to plug-ins. The deck I just ordered (Korg D1600) has mic modelers built-in, and that's why I was asking which microphone works best. There are many here who can better answer your question...

Generally speaking, the more money you pay for a mic, the better sound you get. That's not the same as a flat frequency response, which would probably serve modeling software best.

My guess is, if you're asking this question, you don't want to spend much. Check out these mics: Rode NT-1, Oktava C-012 (buy it from the Sound Room unless you want to get involved in long, boring discussions in this forum trying to defend your purchase with people who think they know better), AT 4033.

They're all good mics, depending on the application. Spend as much as you can scrape together is my advice.

Of course, Regebro's recommendation of the Earthworks mic is probably way sound if you want to go noble.

You might also look at the Audix TR-40 Omni Reference mic at about $250 - very flat. It's made by MBHO in Germany, who also sell their own badged version as the MBC-550.

Harvey Gerst
ITR Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com

Last edited:
my $.02 offer (since I own the Antares software version) is that the mic used is not so much the concern. Apparently, just knowing WHAT the source mic is, is the important issue, as the software will therefore "know" the starting base from which to go by...and make the "proper" adjustments. Personally, I find the Antares software to be of little use, but many I have talked to about it, just love it and consider it another "color" to add to their pallete.

Just a few things

I own a copy of Antares Mic Modeler. I for one, did not like it. It acted more like a limiter then actually making a mic sound like a different mic. My recommendation is Sonic Foundrys Accoustic Mirror (i think only around $50). This software does not only simulate reverbs, but gear impulses as well. I have many good impulses that simulate the actual sound to about 90-95% (to my ears). And this not only simulates mics, but gear like compressers, guitar amps, tube preamps, etc. If you would like some very good impulses i have, i would glady send them to you. You have the option to replace a SM57/58 sound with the gear or to bypass it, both work very well.

I have....
Mics:
AKG C414
AT4050
NEUMANN U87 AI

Studio Gear:
DBX160 Blue
JoeMeek SC2
SPL Charisma
SPL GoldMike
SPL Tube Vitalizer

Amps:
Ampeg SVT
Fender 68 Vibrolux
Fender Bassman
Fender Super Champ
Marshal JCM2000
Marshal Plexi
Matchless Chieftain

All these sound 90-95% similiar to the real thing. And best of all, these are all free.

Back