Which mic to buy?

balky

Hi everyone!
I would like to buy a condenser Mic for singing and voiceovers... Which one could you recommend? I would think up to $500.00

Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, you can tell me which mic would you buy for yourself eve if it is over 500.00

Thanks

balky said:
Hi everyone!
I would like to buy a condenser Mic for singing and voiceovers... Which one could you recommend? I would think up to $500.00

Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, you can tell me which mic would you buy for yourself eve if it is over 500.00

Thanks

I'll be honest, the next mic I would probably buy if I wasn't thinking about money would probably be the AKG C414. The new model with the 5 polar pattern switch. Actually, since money is no object, I'd probably get two. haha.

zzounds seems to have it for $899.95, but you can probably find it cheaper.
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--AKGC414BXLS

The Shure KSM 27/32/44 are also a great line for what you're looking for (27 and 32 are sub-$500)
But of course as a Shure employee, you might consider my opinion biased, which I could understand.

Do a search and check out the sticky at the top of the forum. Like I said, I'm an equal opportunity search function recommender.

Oh yeah, if you can get your hands on a Neumann U47 Tube mic, or a Lawson, you'd be pretty set too, but not exactly under $500. :)

This is what I found:

AKG C-414 B-XLS
AKG C-414 B-XLII

There are two basic models available today: The C414 B-XLS and the C414 B-XLII. The main difference between these two mics is the XLII has a presence bump and dip which vary depending upon the polar pattern selected. These mics are used for voice/vocals and distant live mic situations where more presence is needed. If you plan on recording acoustic instruments and voice or vocals then this mic is probably the one you want. The XLS has a more flat frequency response and is more natural sounding. It sounds better on drums, brass, and bass guitar. Both mics are also available in stereo pairs. These stereo pairs are matched with 1dB of one another for excellent stereo recording.

Any reason it has to be a condenser? EV RE-20 or Shure SM7 are widely used for voiceover work and are excellent vocal mics. Cheaper too. How good a room do you have?

AKG 414 as well. If money wasn't an issue, I'd look for an old or new 414. However, at3035 seems like a nice mic for around 200 bucks.

Unfortunately, my room is still not designed for recordings... I have too much stuff in thiss room. My bed my computers, etc... all in one room.

:(

balky said:
Unfortunately, my room is still not designed for recordings... I have too much stuff in thiss room. My bed my computers, etc... all in one room.

:(
Then another reccomendatio for the EV RE20 (or 27) or the SM7. The dynamics will be more forgiving of an untreated room.

Daav

Guys, I already "invested" in Samson CO3 for 100 bucks... don't want to repeat the same mistake.

I decided to get a good mic...

AKG C 414 B-XL II Condenser Microphone
Neumann TLM-103 Microphone

These mics are a thou.... just do not know which one is better.

Listening to the thelistengsessions.com, the Rode NT1-A and Mogami sound about 3 times better to me than the TLM103 but that is just my ears I guess. To me they sound much less grainy than the Neumann. Did you listen to all of those mics on that web page? Heh, I liked the V69 and NT1-A better than all of the expensive mics. I'd go with sounds best and what you can afford. I didn't pick the Rode over the Neumann cause of price; to me it sounds better. And if it sounds better and can get it for 1/5th the price.. that is an added bonus.

My 2 cents,
James

balky said:
Guys, I already "invested" in Samson CO3 for 100 bucks... don't want to repeat the same mistake.

You'll often hear how inexpensive mics blow away the higher priced ones, but don't believe it. When you invest 1k and up for a mic, the build, quality and sound goes up.

balky said:

I've used both. The C414 (older version) for a lot of various studio and live applications, but the TLM-103 only for stereo recordings in a concert hall.
I like them both. The C414 is probably more versatile (because it has more switches :)) but I've never used the TLM-103 in a studio setting.

Indeed!
I ltook a listen to all RODE mics presented, and find their sound quality much clearer in the highs.... seemed just a tiny bit less bass than Neumann TLM-103.

I wonder, how come most Rode mics do not have any patern swithes... only 2 do have it - NT2 and NT2000.

Was looking at Rod K2 ... but did not see the sound sample for that one.... also, does not have any switches.

Anyway... thinking

PS I listened to AKG C414... compared to others, hmm I expected a better sound. Maybe it's my ears. Others sounded reacher.

balky said:

If you've moved your budget to the $1000 range then check out a Soundelux U195. You can find them for under $800 used. Also check out a Peluso 2247 which can also be found used under $1000. Both of the above mics are much smoother than the TLM103 IMHO.

I have both of the above mics and my favorite go to mic on male vox is a Karma K58 which can be bought new for under $400. If you don't need multi patterns then check out the Karma K55
which can be bought for $175 as it is on special or at least it was.

Good luck with what ever mic you choose. :)

Back