Which mic should I buy, why can't I buy it at Radio Shack and which way do I point it

heylow

:D :cool: :D :cool: :eek: :mad: :( :confused: :o :o

(hee-hee) I've always wondered if there was an official answer to this one.

And while we're at which is the best vocal....mic.......for under...........:rolleyes: ahh, forget it.

:D
heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

aiming your mic

The best way to mic a guitar amp (miking guitar amps gives a much better sound and about the only way to go, as opposed to recording the guitar from the line out on your amp) is to place the mic right next to the amp grille (but not touching) right on the seal of the speaker at a 45 degree angle, not pointed directly at the center of the speaker. Place a second mic facing into the room a few feet away from the amp, to capture the sound of the room. This is the most common way of recording electric guitar, and it will give you the best sound. The instructions might be confusing, but youre just gonna have to deal with it. By the way, SM57's beat all.

No, no, no. The best way to record a guitar amp is to bury it in the back yard, put the mic (Radio Shack Highball, they're doper than morphine) in a Yugo and drive away fast for that cool dopler effect.

Sorry ScienceOne, thanks for the tip but that techniques been discissed many times here. Do a search and you'll find many way's to do it. Many times when I record with a 57 on grill and a valve mic in the room I nearly always don't keep the room mic. I guess it depends on what sound your after. By the way, welcome to homeRecording.com.

attention: Humor Dept.

Thanks Track Rat...

That's more what I was looking for.:cool:

(You serious guys DO know that this is the seemingly silly question that is "posed" on the main BBS page as a sample microphone question, right?!:rolleyes: )

It's nice to know folks'll answer even silly questions seriously, though...I guess that's what makes this place nice. But "which way do I point it?!?!" C'mon!!!:D :D :D

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

I disagree. You put the Yugo underground with the guitarist in it, take the 57 back inside and watch the playoffs. If you can still hear the guitarist (or the Yugo) simply turn up the TV.

Back