Which mic for live use?

quagmire77

My old mic died yesterday and I need to get a new mic. This if for use in my rock band, mostly for practice and live use (possibly some home recording use). I would like to keep it under $150 or so, and I would like to know if you have any suggestions so that I can narrow it down when I go in to try them out. I have been checking out the Audio Technica AE6100 and been pointed to the Nady SP-33. How do these compare with the Shure SM58 or other mics you might have experience with?

You can't really ever go wrong with a 58 for live vocals. I can't comment on the others you asked about, but another option to check out might be the Sennheiser 835e. I'll be giving its first test on Wednesday for live use, but I've read a lot of good things about them. Picked one up a couple of weeks back for $69US - brand new.

Chris

I went to the store to buy an SM58 the other day, and the sales guy turned me on to the Audio Technica ATM41HE. It is the same price as the SM58, and it honest to god sounds a lot closer to a Beta58. I was sceptical at first, but the guy plugged both mics into a big P.A., and we did some test singing and speaking in the store. The AT mic was by far nicer sounding than the Sure mic, and was the same price... Didn't sound quite as good as a beta58, but for $100 (canadian) less, it was so close, that the beta seemed overpriced. This was about 4 months ago, and I've since bought another one for my backup singer. I've AB'd them with Sure58's on multiple occasions in a few different clubs, and the ATM41HE always sounds better. I've also put a few really good dents in the windscreens of both of them from dropping the stands, and so far, no problems ;)

Back