Which mic for Bass drum...

Pretty much a summary of everything mentioned...

The older AGK D12 for a more rounded sound
The newer D112 for more click
Audio Technica ATM25
Shure beta 52
Sennhesier 421
Beyer M88
Electrovoice RE20
Neumann U47 Fet (if you got money to burn ;))

Overall the ATM 25 probably represents the best bang for buck!

chessrock said:
That would be interesting to hear . . . not knocking you for it or anthing, just never really, uh, thought of it that way. :D

I actually used the d112 on the sound hole and Rode nt-1 on the 12th fret, both about 4-6 inches away..Came out pretty nice. The d112 alone won't cut it

Scott

no kidding... a few days ago i tried out the D112 on acoustic guitar by itself... sounded incredibly awful. way too boomy and no definition whatsoever.

even when paired with a condenser (MXL603 or Rode NT1 were the ones I tried), it sounded much worse than a plain old SM57 on the sound hole paried with a condenser at 12th.

The beta-52 sure seems like it takes a good hand and a good drum to get any type of useable sound out of. I am thinking oof trying a more user friendly mic like the d112. I have heard the new audix is supposed to be nice too.

F.S.

Where do you but the mic?

I recently bought a ATM25 based on all the good comments I've heard about it. It seems like a good choice since I didn't feel like spending to much money on a such limited use.

Yesterday I did a test with it, to work out how it sounded in diffrent positions. I was kind of limited when I did the test so I could only test it in solo.
I tried six diffrent positions.
The first one was near the beater, where in my opinion it sounded kind of muddy and dull.
This was solved by moving the mic 3-4 inches back, where the sound cleared up and sounded real usefull with a little click to it.

My next position was near the edge of the "beaterhead". This position sounded quite diffrent from the previous positions, with more overtones. But like the first one, it sounded a bit muddy and dull.
Again, I moved the mic 3-4 inches back from the previous position where the sound cleared up and sounded more usefull but with the same caracter. This sound might not be the sound I would go for in the first place, but in some occasions it might work.

My fifth position was in the hole of the "fronthead". This position was not one of my favorites, it sounded "uncontrolled" and noisy, I can't really point out what it was but maybe it's because of the air puff you get there.

The last position was something I thought of trying out some time. It's like when you place the mic about 3-4 inches back from the beater, but turn the mic around, so that it's pointing at the "fronthead" but from inside the drum.
This sound turnd out to be quite diffrent from all the others, accually bigger and punchier with a little resonans. This sound was quite cool but may be to much in a context.

I'm not very experienced in the art of micing drums so I'm just wondering:
How do you do when micing the bass drum?

I've got an AT Pro25.

I take off the front head (resonant) and place the mic about 4-5 inches from the batter head just to the left or right of the beater.

You should never place the mic directly in front of the beater unless you want a big woosh of air picked up.

Also the closer you have the mic to the beater head usually it's has a bit more click. As you move it back you get more resonance and more body sound.

Tukkis

Back