Which Marshall MXL ??

fernandoesmaron

Want to buy a new Mic and have select following mics until now:

> Sontronics STC-2
> Rode NT1A
> Studio Projects C1

And did read that Marshall have great mics too, but don´t know which to choose until 250 € ( there are so much ). I am recording only man & woman vocals for dance music. Could the MXL 2003 be the best for me ?

Equipment:
Soundcraft compact 4 ( MicPreamps ok ? )
EMU 0404

Which Marshall MXL would you recommend / prefere ?

Last edited:
fernandoesmaron said:
Which Marshall MXL would you recommend / prefere ?
the MXL v69m is a nice (colored)tube mic wich is just within the budget i think.

fernandoesmaron said:
I read that Marshall have great mics too, but don´t know which to choose until 250 € ( there are so much ). Could the MXL 2003 be the best for me ?
I can't say anything about he others MXL because i don't own them.

fernandoesmaron said:
Equipment:
Soundcraft compact 4 ( MicPreamps ok ? )
EMU 0404

The preamps in small mixers are mostly not up 2 par, so that's something else to look at.

happy searching

Remco

Last edited:
I've heard many bad things about the 2000 series, I myself own the 990 and the 991, the 990 works great for me on vocals...Maybe I'll buy the tube V69 once, if I have the chance...

ok thanks.

I think that marshall could be a choice for me but i can´t pay more than 200 / 250 for an mic now.

So i have following list now:

1) studio projects b1 or C1 ( 100 or 200 )
2) Rode NT1A ( 200 )
3) Sontronics STC-2 ( 200 )

sontronics is new and will be listed in german shops this month. Did write to trevor from sontronics and he told me that this STC-2 and the SP C1 have an similar sound but the stc-2 have not so much hyped highs and is especially good for vocals.

Did read a lot about the sp b1 and the c1 and both have very good reviews. I think the b1 is more neutral and could be my choice. ( only 99 € - nice price ).

What about the rode NT-1A ?
Did read very good reviews about this mic too.

fernandoesmaron said:
I am recording only man & woman vocals for dance music.
I would say you might want a brighter sounding mic for this application (something that will stand out in a dense mix and have some "shimmer" to it). The NT-1 or SP C-1 would probably fit your needs well. As far as the MXL mics, the V67g and V69m are reputed to be good for vocal applications, but different from the NT1/C1. I imagine that an NT-1 or C1 plus a v67g would cover a lot of vocalists.

go on ebay and find an NT1... NOT an NT1A.. there IS a noticeable difference difference. C1 would be my second choice.. but a very far second.

fernandoesmaron said:
thanks very much.

which ( sp | rode | Marshall ) have the best quality control ?

Where do they build their mics ?

I think Rode is doing all of their assembly in Australia now, though I've heard they still use Chinese made capsules.

Both the Marshall/MXL and SP mics are made in China. SP uses 797 Audio. I don't know who is making the MXL mics now.

Checkout the CAD M179 multipattern LDC mic.
I picked up 2 of them from frontendaudio and love then.

mmistudent said:
go on ebay and find an NT1... NOT an NT1A.. there IS a noticeable difference difference. C1 would be my second choice.. but a very far second.

That a first. The NT1 over the NT1a. Why?

Just curious, because I have the NT1a and have gotten good results with it. Do you consider the NT1 better, or just better for what the author of this post is doing?

mmistudent said:

are you sure that the first nt1 is better ?

Did talk today with an DigitalAudioService ( german ) and they told me: They did replace the NT1a with an SP C1 in their Test/Review Studio.

Now i have to decide between SP B1 and C1.

What are Class A MicroPreamps ? The Compact 4 mixer have those but how got are they ?

Back