Which makes more sense?

SacredDespair

Is it better for an industrial musician (who is solo as of now) to get a strong keyboard (such as a yamaha motif or korg triton) or get a cheaper midi keyboard with a laptop? I'd love to just have all of those things, but the money doesn't flow that way. What do you guys think would be best?

i've been thinking of going to a laptop for my live rig as i cant move the old stuff like i used to... and i would like to use VST'Is like ivory for sounds but i'm just not convinced it's stable enough yet... and too many people i've heard of have problems with power supply noise and such from the laptop...

SacredDespair said:
Is it better for an industrial musician (who is solo as of now) to get a strong keyboard (such as a yamaha motif or korg triton) or get a cheaper midi keyboard with a laptop? I'd love to just have all of those things, but the money doesn't flow that way. What do you guys think would be best?
To me its all about being comfortable with your tools. I've been working with synths for 25 years, I am used to them and dont like softsynths (even though I have several). For the CD I am working on I am using a Yamaha, Korg and a Roland. :D No steenking softsynths. :cool:

However, If you dont have 25 years of working with hardware you can probably adapt a lot better than I can. As dementedchord said, there might be issues with live use.

Industrial is such a diverse genre that it would be hard to give good advice w/o knowing what you're after exactly.

For all I care you could just have a bunch of guitar stomboxes a couple of contact mics and a drum machine, and you'd be good to go if you were doing some noise/powernoise and such.

For EBM, I'd say you could do well with some VSTis and something like Ableton Live to jam live.

If you have the money for something like a Motif, I'd strongly recommend the Kurzweil Kxxx series keyboards instead as the VAST synthesis engine is far more capable of creating some far out deranged and harsh sounds. In fact I'd say that harshness comes rather easily with VAST, far more easily than anything else out there. And it's sequencer, Setups and Live Mode (if you have the sampling option) would make a very stable solo live rig.

Back