which keyboard do i buy?

austexman

hello...i'm not a keyboardist but am wanting to have sounds available for my recordings....my sound is ambient, echoey indie
pop rock and am looking for a good keyboard work station for
new unique sounds...

style is: radiohead, coldplay, u2, the doves, swervedriver, placebo, etc..

i'll need good sounding piano, strings and ambient, lush synth sounds...

i'd like to get it for around $1000....any suggestions?

austexman said:
hello...i'm not a keyboardist but am wanting to have sounds available for my recordings....my sound is ambient, echoey indie
pop rock and am looking for a good keyboard work station for
new unique sounds...

style is: radiohead, coldplay, u2, the doves, swervedriver, placebo, etc..

i'll need good sounding piano, strings and ambient, lush synth sounds...

i'd like to get it for around $1000....any suggestions?

Roland XP30 (around $900)
Korg Triton LE (around $1200)

sequencer

good question....i don't know if i'll need a sequencer or not...i think there's a thing on my software program that does sequencing (SONAR)...i also have a dtxpress yamaha electric kit that i thought i would use for midi sounds...would that work?

Re: sequencer

austexman said:
good question....i don't know if i'll need a sequencer or not...i think there's a thing on my software program that does sequencing (SONAR)...i also have a dtxpress yamaha electric kit that i thought i would use for midi sounds...would that work?

I think so. I really don't know too much about SONAR, but if you buy a synth without an onboard sequencer it usually saves you money.

Yamaha Motif Rack and a basic 61-key controller, $1200

Used Korg Karma, probably close to your $1000 budget

Roland XV-5050 module and a 61-key controller $1000

All those have good piano, strings, lush ambient sounds, etc. The Roland XV-5050 and Motif Rack both come with good software for programming sounds. They also except expansion boards so that in the future you have a lot of options for new sounds, and in the case of the Motif Rack other types of synthesis.

Back