Which is the send on a y cable ?????

rxkevco

Just in the proccess of re routing my gear thru a patchbay, and have got hold of a few Y cables to use as inserts.
Can anyone tell me which is the return, and which is the send ???
All the cables i have ,, are labelled red on one jack ,and white on the other,, which is which ????

Hi there,,,
Many thanks for the reply,,
So,,, the white jack is the return (in)
and the red is the send (out) ??

Unless there are different versions I can only assume yours would be the same as mine, so yes white is the return and red is the send.

tip is in, ring is out . . . but . . . I have a variety of Y-leads, and have discovered that they are not wired consistently. Some have red = in, and perversely, some have red = out.

You will need to check, and when you have sorted this out, make your own marks to help you.

Before I realised this inconsistency, I had a panic thinking that my device was no longer working.

Man, I could totally see that happening. Mine came out of teh pack already labelled so I trusted the manufacturer and it worked out ok lol.

Assuming a pin 2 hot setup... Tip will always send from the console insert point to the input of whatever outbaord ubit you are patching. Ring will return from the outboard back to the console which completes the insert loop.

Keep in mind as well that "Y" cables are not the same as "insert" cables. A "Y" cable would not have a tip or a ring, but each of the seperate ends would contain all three pins (assuming a balanced source) which results in a duplicate, and not a send and return.

Hi guys,,,,
Thanks for the follow up,,,,
The cables i am calling " Y cables ",are stereo (trs) and two mono (ts) cables.
I am using them as inserts from patchbay to the mixer inserts on
channels 1 - 8 on my mixer.
The 2 ts ends on the top and bottom rows on the rear of the patchbay,, and the trs end in the channel insert.
Couldnt get certain rack units to work properly in the set up,,,, but now ,,i might have an idea why !!!! the 8 " y " cables i have are from 3 different manufacturers, all the ts ends are white ,and red,, but there is no labelling on any of them to indicate which is the return or send !!!!
Gonna have to strip everything down again i think,,and start putting it back together 1 unit at a time,, flipping the mono ends for each one <
Jeeezzz,,, dont fancy doing this again !!!!
Thanks anyhow,,,, might have solved a riddle.
Why is there no consistency with correctly labelling cables,,,!!!!!

Are they at least labeled tip or ring? If so that means send and return in a sense.

As far as consistency goes, it seems to me that your cables are very consistent. They are consistently unlabeled:D

Back