which is the real bill lawrence pickups?

Because of this I refuse to use either one.

They are both immature. Just look at all the BS on both websites. (I haven't looked recently, but last time I recall it being there...he said she said BS)

There is a current war over who owns the name Bill Lawrence. I believe it to be the "real" Bill Lawrence who worked for gibson way back in the day. Yes, it takes a while to get pickups from Bill lawrence cause they're all made by hand and they wait to get enough orders for a particular model before they start a run. I've heard good things about thes pickups.

I have a '77 jbass with OBL 45's in it. Sweet sounding, and I don`t care who`s name is on the business liscence.

The "USA" one is the original company, but the other is the original guy. I see more people happier with the guy, than the original company.

The guy who built this guitar for me (though I painted 'er :cool: ) tells me that the "usa" is the real one...

Finished1.sized.jpg

I like the Dimebag model. Very tonally versatile (for a guy with just 1 electric...)

Eric

My own personal experience with the L-500XL

I talked to the man himself to get my L-500xl made. Bill said that Dimebag used his pickup, not the one from billlawrenceusa in cowboys from hell.
The difference, he said, is that he has a patented circuit in his pickup that grounds out squacks and other unwanted frequencies.
I put one in the bridge of my flying v, quilted maple/mahogany with maple neck/ebony fretboard, and it is the most transparently clean pickup I have ever used. Hot with gain, and sparkling without. I like a more bluesy tone than one normally would expect from one of these, and it really delivers. I play through an orange rockerverb 50 watt and a mesa tremoverb both through mesa 4x12 big cabs.
For what my two cents are worth, I say go with the man himself.
(plus when I bought them, he charged me only $35)

godzai

The only "Bill Lawrence" pickups I have ever had was a set of single-coils made/sold by Epiphone, marked "OBL///////////////." Perhaps not the best pups in the world, but better than many say, those people seem to be following Mr. Lawrence's lead. Still, acquiring those pups and researching them taught me a lot about the man...

I bought them at Mars Music in the very final days of their close-out sale, and paid next to nothing for them, not knowing much about them. Cheap enough that I knew they would not be there if I went home, researched them and came back, so I grabbed 'em. From my research, I learned a bit about the pups ('course, I learned more by actually playing them) and I also learned that Mr. Lawrence has little more than abject hatred for those pickups. But wait a mo- Epiphone could not have continued to make and sell them, unless they had legal permission to do so. It seems that Mr. Lawrence is not above whoring out his name from time to time, if it will result in even short-term gain. Then, when the pay-out portion of the licensing agreement expires but the company still has permission to make the stuff, Mr. Lawrence seems to get all puffed up and filled with self-righteous indignation about the things- conviently forgetting the terms of the contract he once signed. I'm not saying it is okay for corporations to take advantage of artists or other individuals, but Mr. Lawrence does not seem to have learned the lesson- so you get dualing websites/pickup makers.

So, the answer to the original question is, they are both real Bill Lawrence pickups. Mr. Lawrence seems to be much better at designing pickups and screaming at former business partners, then he is in reading the fine print on contracts.

Wilde pickups.

wildepickups.com

Bill and Becky.

That's the real deal.

here's a set in my custom strat:
strat1lv4.jpg

Back