Which is the mic for me?

Rocket Boy

I know this has been posted before... but it's a big investment for me... and since I can't actually try some of these I have to make my choice based on others opions. My price range basically goes up to $1500 for a workhorse LDC. I want it to sound great on vocals, and acoustic guitars, and hopefully a few other things to.

The ones I've sort of been reading about are...
Soundelux U195
AT4060
Peluso 22 47
Pearlman TM1

I would describe my vocal style as Ben Folds, Death Cab For Cutie, Beulah, Onelinedrawing, and indie rock things like that. I also enjoy the Beatles. I was sort of leaning towards the Peluso based on the clips I've heard from the different mics. Let me know what you think or if I'm leaving any out.

Let me know what you think or if I'm leaving any better mics out.

DOT is selling the Peluso at Gearslutz for under $1000, unless you want a tube mic, that's your best move. IMHO, YMMV, ASAP, PDQ, LMAO,

I think I'm going with that Peluso 22 47 Dot is selling. I've heard people say it's more a "spoken word/voice over" mic... I'm hoping it still sounds great on vox and acoustic guitar? heh.

cripes the more mic brands I hear about there seems to be as many I've not heard of

I need to win the lottery badly

Indeed. I'm eating nothing but microwave burritos and bologne sandwiches because of my Gear Aquisition Syndrom flaring up.

IMHO what it may indeed come down to is mics are like women......you could have a stable of them and they would ALL be appealing at certain times, and have certain strengths and weaknesses. I break it down to the Boutique brands vs. the Main Stream brands. The Boutique brands certainly tend to offer up a lot more flavor (and boy do they know how to charge), not that companies like Neumann are new to high prices. :p

roadwarrior said:
IMHO what it may indeed come down to is mics are like women......you could have a stable of them and they would ALL be appealing at certain times, and have certain strengths and weaknesses. I break it down to the Boutique brands vs. the Main Stream brands. The Boutique brands certainly tend to offer up a lot more flavor (and boy do they know how to charge), not that companies like Neumann are new to high prices. :p

What? Makes no sense. New analogy please.

The AT4060 is a great sounding mic that you can usually get used for as low as $600. Replacing the original tube with a JAN or NOS makes it sound even that much better.

I am going to have to agree with most of the above! I have a feeling that you may be better off getting a couple of studio standard's. A few workhorse's to start building your stable. Or at least more than one choice, like a neumann tlm-103 (pristine, clean, and sometimes mean) and an audio technica 4040 (4033, 4060, whatever you can spare the coin for) Or maybe a whole stable of options md421, at 4040, oktava mc012 matched pair, sm57, rode nt-1a, and a few others. OR !!!!!!

The all time tried and true most famous and in EVERY studio in the world (even 2 in mine :D ) ultra amazing on most everything workhorse ..... the AKG C414 !!!!!!!!!!

(and at $1,000 you can still affor a 4040, md 421, nt-1a, or whatever else you want too)

TravisinFlorida said:
Ahhh but does'nt that bologne taste sweet.

It's all about priorities. I guess I've found that... if properly motivated I can cut down my expenses pretty well(not driving.. not eatingo out..)

Also, I have some of those other standards people mentioned planned out for the near future as well.

Yeah you simply CANNOT go wrong with an AKG C414. Funny story I read in an interview with a famous producer. He was recordin dave navarro (how do you get carmen electra?????? inquiring minds want to know lol) anyways lol. Dave wasn't feeling the guitar sound and he hollered in to the control room (jokingly) "put a 414 on it" and the producer replied "it IS a 414" and Dave looked like dear in headlights and said "you mean there really is such a thing? I thought that's just what producers said when all else failed" LOL. I know that in my studio the 414 really is the life saver, whenever someone is not feeling the sound with another mic (usually nuemann's believe it or not) I will throw a 414 on them and they love it. If I had to choose between my Nuemann tlm-103 and a 414 I would definately take the 414. For $1,000 that is hands down the most versatile mic I have ever used, and you would have some coin left over for a few other good mics and some really good cables as well (you would not believe how much difference a ZAOLLA cable will make in your recordings, I can't use any other cable now that I have ZAOLLA's)

Oh yeah did I mention that I actually am NOT a fan of AKG mic's in general? lol. The ONLY AKG mic's I use are d112's and C414's, though I do like the C535, and C12 obviously. But to be totally honest I have not heard a single mic from AKG that I liked aside from those 4. I think the c1000, c2000, c3000, and c4000 are a complete waste of money. JUST MY opinion mind you, and opinion'sare like ___________.

Back