Which Hi Hats?

you can probably find any kind of drummer in any kind of genre with any kind of stick.

I think this is true. Sticks don't matter too much beyond personal preference. If a metal thunder god prefers 7As, then he's still gonna sound like a metal thunder god.

Yep. Though I think that the weight of the stick is, however small, a factor in the equation of loudness. (which means the loudest drummer would drum louder with thicker sticks then with thin ones)

If you want to be able to play real soft, I wouldn't recommend this in the studio but when you play in acoustically challenging places, consider buying hot rods (look them up...). I had to play once with my kit in the middle of a big cathedral and with no PA to speak off, then you need everything to get your volume down, eventually I played with hot rods and shawls over my snare and toms, with a layer of foam between my kick and beater as soft as I could and it was still slightly to loud.
The Vic Firth Steve Smith signature Tala Wands are the best sticks I found as yet for playing really softly.

7As are way too thin for me, I prefer larger sticks. But lately I've been adjusting myself to 5As because they're lighter, faster, and they "snap" a little better. I do my goofing around with 5B and 2Bs, and then when it's time to really play, 5As are a breeze.

Yeah I found that working quite well, practising on thicker sticks and then finding yourself becoming faster with the lighter sticks...

The biggest hurdle was just getting used to the grip of a thinner stick. Now that I'm accustomed to bouncing from one size drumstick to another on a whim, it's nothing. It seems silly, but it's as much mental as it is physical.

Agreed, though I'm sure I'll have a hard time if I started playing 2Bs now. The worst sticks I've every played where glow in the dark stick, which where awesome for the gig which was in a big theater in which we opened in utter darkness. They where so have and unbalanced and played rubish, totally worth it though...

Back