Which guitar does Robert Smith ( The Cure ) plays in the encore of the Trilogy DVD ?

crgl

He uses this guitar only for the last two songs ( If Only Tonight We Could Sleep and The Kiss ).

It is the only time I have seen him using this guitar. It is like a solid body "stratocaster" type but bigger. Maybe it is not solid, but it doesn't have holes.

I like it very much and would appreciate if anyone have any information.

Last edited:
Last edited:
dunno, but he uses a gorgeous Guild JF30BLK-12 as his acoustic - I own the 6-string version and it's a cannon.

Are you talking about that fender 6 string bass guitar thing? I heard he plays one of those, though I'm not certain

It is not the fender baritone guitar ( Fender bajo VI ).

You have to check out the Trilogy DVD. In the Encore he plays the last two songs with this guitar. I haven't seen him using this guitar anywhere else.

Does anyone know the guitar I am talking about ?

crgl said:
No. That is a Gretsch, I think.
The guitar I am talking about is all black and it is not the Shecter Ultra Cure.

Can you play DVD on your computer and then take a screen shot of it and post it here?

Outlaws said:
Can you play DVD on your computer and then take a screen shot of it and post it here?

I don't have the DVD right now. I have a VHS copy. But I was thinking about doing the same thing with a digital camera taking a snapshot of the tv screen. Will look a little crappy :o but I will do it as soon I can borrow a camera.

The thing about this guitar is that the body looks like a cross between a stratocaster and a Gibson ES-335. It looks like a strat because of the 2 horns although both horns seem to be at the same height in the guitar. It looks like a ES-335 because it is big and the horns are round and it has corners like if it were hollow but maybe it is not because I don't see any f holes in it.

he has played some crzy axes over the years. It is most likely something that he has had for 25 years and decided to pop out to drive people like you crazy trying to figure out what it is.

Thunder33 said:
he has played some crzy axes over the years. It is most likely something that he has had for 25 years and decided to pop out to drive people like you crazy trying to figure out what it is.

Maybe my description leds you to think that it is a crazy kind of guitar but that is not the case. This guitar seems very plain copared to his others guitar...but it does seems different. I instantly liked this guitar

Last edited:
crgl said:
Maybe my description leds you to think that it is a crazy kind of guitar but that is not the case. This guitar seems very plain...but different.

well, by crazy, I mean hard to find. It could be some Silvertone or something.

Hi, I had to register just to answer this since I'm such a Cure fan...it's a Mosrite Ventures. Although I suppose it could be a reproduction of one since I cannot find any images of a black with black pickguard and a bound body. But the style is definitely a Mosrite Ventures.

Last edited:
In May 2006, my family and I went to Spain on holiday. We went to Barcelona's football ground, the day before they beat Arsenal in the champions league final. We laid tiles on my kitchen floor {my friend that did it ended up hurting his hand}, my youngest son {17 next month} had just learned to walk. George Bush was president of the USA, Tony Blair was UK PM and my oldest son {now 19 and in university} was at nursery {kindergarten} and was a few months from going to big school.
It was a long time ago !
The asker of the original question wasn't a regular at HR, 100 posts {7 in this thread}, and hasn't been around since 2014. I doubt they care much now !!

The question was still relevant to me. The reason for posting is that if someone googles the question as I did, and the results contain the link to this thread, as they did for me, they will now find relevant information.

Simple.

Back