Which Drum Machine?

jonmmartin

I'm a guitar player and need some help. I'm looking for a Drum Machine that has good presets for shuffels and has good brush hit sounds...any suggestions?
Thanks

I can't really suggest an actual drum machine, but why not use software instead of an actual drum machine? Is it for live performance?

:D Yo Jon:

I've enjoyed the BOSS 770--has good presets. I just got the BOSS 800 and will plug it in soon.

I'm sure the beats you want are in the box. They are also programmable, with the 880 touting to be "easy" to program.....depends what the measure of "easy" is these days. :confused:

Green Hornet :D

I've seen the Boss 770 listed as having a large number of preset patterns. I mainly record Folk, Country, Folk/Country Rock...this type of music...acoustic instruments mainly and voice. Does anyone know if the 770 has any shuffel patterns? Is it hard to program (I have an Alesis SR 16 now)?
Thanks for the replys and the help.
Jon

I have the DR-5 and the DR-880.

The DR-5 sounds are a little dated but you get three other channels of squenced instruments ie you could program a bass line under a blues shuffle and add some keys while you wail on your solo's.

Nice for song writing and practice.

I found it less than adequate for recording a good demo but you can record the sound going into an amp in the bathroom and add a psuedo overhead sound to the mix to liven it up.

The 880 I am still learning but the sounds are amazing,
switchable COSM modelling, and velocity sensitive dynamics.

Both have an adjustable "swing" feature delaying the two and four beat.

The DR-5 has only three dynamic options but can be great for song writing and practicing if you have the luxury of recording real drums.

Boss 770

I have the Boss 770 and I really REALLy dig it. I do not belive its hard to program. Its kinda a pain in the behind at times due to the small screen, but it is very easy to understand once you get the hang of it. Shuffle patterns? hmm...Not sure about that, I belive it comes with like 400 preset patterns (or some big number). You can find them on Ebay for about 200 bucks....It has a TON of sounds (Drum Kits) and you can record real time (actually PLAY the beats) or step (tell it when to play)...I find it very useful. I have no experience with other drum machines, but cant imagine one being much easier and/or better than this one.

The Alesis SR-16 has been around for a while and still sells very well. If you are not using a computer and want a low budget machine, this one is a great deal. Check out Ebay for them.

I know most people aren't big on zoom stuff, but I've worked with an MRT-3 and an Alesis SR16, and I would take the zoom MRT-3 any day. Plus you can get one used on ebay for about $60 or so.

I've got a Boss Dr-660 and its really easy to program, I think most of the afore-mentionsed machines program using a similar step edit function. The 660 sounds are decent and you have the option to exchange different drum sounds from kit-to-kit. as well as 2 individual [outs].

Back