Which DAW?

Goldilox

Just got a small laptop for on-the-road communications, but I wanted a DAW on there, and was after some recommendations.

I've been using Cubase LE5 for years, so I'm very familiar with that, but I'm not sure I have any installations left on my license.

Mostly I was anticipating using it for mixing down tracks exported from my Tascam 4 Track, but if I could plug my interface in that'd be handy.

It's a 2.16GHz celeron dual-core with 4GB RAM, if that's useful to know.

I don't have the budget for the full version of Pro-Tools, so I'm looking for free or reasonably-priced options!

You should be able to register LE5 again. I am not aware of a limit. I know I have done it many times on many computers.

Otherwise Reaper is very inexpensive.

I heard something about Protools having a free version now.

Article

LINK

Oops, it's not available yet...

Reaper, best bang for buck going, in my limited experience.

If it's just for mixing down then Studio One Free couldn't be any cheaper. You'd have to rely on onboard effects, though, as this version doesn't work with VSTs.

Sorry, but I see studio one free as completely useless. As you said, it doesn't work with VSTs, but it doesn't come bundled with an EQ!!!! How can you mix with no EQ?

The full version, however, I freaking love. I started with Reaper, but haven't looked back since making the swap to studio one 2. It's not because it 'sounds better' or anything like that, I just like the workflow.

Edit: Just been and had a quick look. The free version does come with an EQ, it has the channel strip plug in which comes with a 3 band EQ. My bad.

Last edited:
Ableton Live

every other daw is rubbish

---------- Update ----------

I meant Reaper

and all other daws are OK

Back