Which CUBASE?

robbysaudio

OK

In earlier posts, I've mentioned that I use an old version of Cubase (VST32 v5) and that it runs beautifully on 98SE. Now, I will keep this set-up for as long as the mother boards in the machines I use keep processing or until the software no longer loads, but gradually I have to admit that I need an upgrade; a second machine, even.:rolleyes:

A few years back, my friend got SX. It looked all shiny and new, but I couldn't navigate my way round it very quickly, if at all, so I retreated, shell-shocked, into VST 5 again.:confused: There, I've remained ever since.

I've been looking briefly at what's available in Cubase now and I'm boggled:

Cubase SX
Cubase LE (got a copy free with some hardware I bought; haven't touched it)
Cubase SL.
Cubase SX3
Cubase 4
Cubase 5
Cubase Studio 4
Cubase Studio 5
Cubase DAW (I though they all offered that)

and prices can vary from £350:) to £600 :eek:

What's the big difference? Anybody got any opinions of why I should opt for any of these and why?

Rob:)

OK

In earlier posts, I've mentioned that I use an old version of Cubase (VST32 v5) and that it runs beautifully on 98SE. Now, I will keep this set-up for as long as the mother boards in the machines I use keep processing or until the software no longer loads, but gradually I have to admit that I need an upgrade; a second machine, even.:rolleyes:

A few years back, my friend got SX. It looked all shiny and new, but I couldn't navigate my way round it very quickly, if at all, so I retreated, shell-shocked, into VST 5 again.:confused: There, I've remained ever since.

I've been looking briefly at what's available in Cubase now and I'm boggled:

Cubase SX
Cubase LE (got a copy free with some hardware I bought; haven't touched it)
Cubase SL.
Cubase SX3
Cubase 4
Cubase 5
Cubase Studio 4
Cubase Studio 5
Cubase DAW (I though they all offered that)

and prices can vary from £350:) to £600 :eek:

What's the big difference? Anybody got any opinions of why I should opt for any of these and why?

Rob:)

From Sound on Sound.
"Steinberg haven’t scrapped Cubase, they’ve merely dropped the SX, SL and SE designation from the name. Cubase is now available as either Cubase 4, their top-of-the-line version (costing £649.99), or Cubase Studio 4, a slimmed-down version that costs just £299.99.

But it’s not just the name that has changed: the software’s GUI has been overhauled to enhance navigability and make space for new mixer functions, and there is a brand new set of VST 3.0 plug-ins, including new dynamics processors and effects.

The full-blown Cubase 4 includes three new VST Instruments; we don’t yet have full details, but one of them will be a sample player called Halion One which comes with a variety of Yamaha-derived sample patches. Also in Cubase 4 is the Nuendo-derived Control Room monitoring section, which gives the user direct access to up to four separate headphone mixes, a talkback function, and speaker selection.

Elsewhere, Steinberg have updated scoring and notation features, added a workflow-enhancing database feature called Soundframe, and made Cubase compatible with Intel-based Macs. It’s early days still, so we don’t have much more information, but the new version should be available in October."

I'm not sure what the difference is between SX, SL and SE. Probably slimmed down versions of SX. LE is a lite version that is bundled with other pieces of gear. Its not great just gives a person an idea of what can be done in Cubase.
I use Nuendo before that I used SX3, I think its great. As with everything there is a learning curve, once you get over that its really easy to use. If you have the money to spend go for 4 or 5 if not I'm sure SX3 can be got for handy money these days.

If your a student, and can prove it, try getting a steinberg education licence.

Its EXACTLY THE SAME as a normal licence (ignore anyone that says different).

It will literally half the price of the software, and may be the deciding factor when buying. I know it was for me :p

raven was nice enough to pull those lines from steinberg but it's old info... C5 is a major upgrade... even the guys that usually bitch about steinberg seem to get off on the new...

raven was nice enough to pull those lines from steinberg but it's old info... C5 is a major upgrade... even the guys that usually bitch about steinberg seem to get off on the new...

Cosigned.

The pitch correction system that rivals melodyne and the looping software alone are worth it

Cosigned.

The pitch correction system that rivals melodyne and the looping software alone are worth it

yeah i read about that. im a student and apparantly from studia.com or something i can get cubase 5 for 209 pounds or studio 5 for 139 pounds which is amazing but i have only used sx 3 so far. (not mine so i can;t upgrade) gonna make the change this month. has anyone used 5 yet i will look for a review now. always had faith in cubase and spent so much time learning how to use it i don;t want to change now.

the pitch correction does it rival melodyne/antares or is it just a polished version of the free G-snap. which i must say for a freebie is pretty impressive. (says mr skinflint)

not many people have it yet so hard to get reviews ... it is shippng in the EU... usa should start shipping within days...

Thanks for everybody's contribution.

My only concern now, is to make sure I've got a budget and go for it. As I said, I'm unfamiliar with many of the changes from SX onwards, so any topline version would be a work in hand. I'll check out prices for 4 and 5

Thanks folks:)

Back