Which CPU to get for Cakewalk

davejohno

I am getting alot of crakling when recording audio tracks in cakewalk PA9. I've tried changing the sample rate, closed down all other programs and even reduced the amount of colors used. That helped but it is still there. I've read a few threads on here and it sounds like I need to upgrade my CPU. How do I know what speed My CPU is and What is the minimum speed I should get, yes I'm on a budget so I'm probably looking at athlon
Thanks

to find processor speed:

right click My computer->General

to find ram:

right click My Computer->Performance

When your computer boots up, the BIOS post should tell you the cpu speed and amount of RAM you have, as well as some other drivel. You may have a screen that hides the post (like a Dell logo or something). In that case, usually hitting escape clears the logo screen and shows you the post.

OK that was it. it's 500Mhz. is that fast enough. I also saw some threads suggesting that it could be the sound card or the leads etc but when I record something in say"sound recorder" the background noise isn't there. By the way I have soundblaster live platinum.

A Celeron 500 really ought to be fast enough. If you only have one hard drive, that could cause problems - especially if it's fragmented, or you have a lot on it (because the information you're already storing on it will be on the fastest part of the media - the beginning, the outside of the circle), and you'll be recording on the slowest part.

I know this doesn't answer your problem directly, but audio crackling is such a random problem, it's hard to give a direct solution. Anything can cause a little glitch, when you're talking computers.

Two things that might help: When you record, cut your desktop color depth down to 256 colors. I'm not sure what you're recording with, but when I first started I had an ancient Trident PCI SVGA card, and I had my desktop running in 16 bit color. I chopped it down to 256 colors when I recorded, and my performance REALLY went up.

Another thing that could help, is to get a second hard drive for audio only. Even just a 20GB 7200RPM Western Digital drive for $80 or so would really give you a performance boost.

Or you can try overclocking your CPU. This would be accomplished by going into the BIOS setup (usually by hitting Delete when the BIOS posts - but it sounds like you might have an OEM computer, and I've always built my own, so it varies). You should see a setting for "Front Side Bus Frequency", or "Clock Speed", or something like that. It will say either "66/33" or "Default" right now. Almost every Celeron can be bumped up to a 75 MHz front side bus with just the retail Intel cooler, with no problems whatsoever. That would equal a new CPU speed of 567 MHz, and a faster system bus to boot. This would increase the overall performance of your computer.

Just some random thoughts. Performance issues may not be what's causing the audio glitches, though.

By the way, I personally wouldn't recommend using either an Athlon or a P4 for home recording, unless your computer is well-isolated from your recording area. That's highly subjective, though. (But you really should be fine with the Celeron, anyway.)

Back