Which combination of ram?

teainthesahara

Hey y'all:

I've got a PIV 2.4Mhz hyperthreading, 800FSB, Intel 865GLC computer.
So far, i've got a single stick of 512mb DDR333mhz ram installed. This motherboard will actually run the ram at 320mhz (since it's optimized for DDR400). It runs very well as is; but at 24 tracks with 30 or so WAVES plugins, it starts to choke.

What is the better scenario here:

Run 1.5GB of ram clocked at 320mhz (i.e. im going to add 2 new DDR400mhz sticks, but they will all slow down if i keep the original stick installed),

or,

Run 1.024GB clocking at 400mhz (i.e. ditch the installed stick).

Would my system run better with more capacity, or optimized speed?

T

Increasing your RAM isn't going to up your plugin count.

Getting a faster CPU WILL!!!

Maybe even look into the UAD-1 card. Not only does it relieve the burden from your CPU, but it also gives you some VERY good plugin's to use!

Those 2.4 P4s are legendary overclockers. A lot of them will run happily at 3 or 3.2. Can you increase the fsb on that mobo? Worth a try if you can before investing in new ram

sonusman said:
Increasing your RAM isn't going to up your plugin count.

Getting a faster CPU WILL!!!

Maybe even look into the UAD-1 card. Not only does it relieve the burden from your CPU, but it also gives you some VERY good plugin's to use!

Yeah, i thought alot of it would come down to CPU speed. However, I heard that RAM clocking can act as a bottleneck; It might be that by not using the optimal speed (400mhz), my CPU can't perform up to it's limit. The UAD-1 card is definetly on my "will-buy-when-get-job-once-school-done-damnit" list :D

Bulls Hit said:
Those 2.4 P4s are legendary overclockers. A lot of them will run happily at 3 or 3.2. Can you increase the fsb on that mobo? Worth a try if you can before investing in new ram

I've hear of overclocking, but i know nothing about how to go about doing it. I was under the impression that the 800FSB was the fastest for intel boards? Then again, it was 2 years ago i got this thing....

Does this factor in at all? According to this chart (from the mobo manual), i would have second fastest "throughput" with using the 3 sticks, and fastest throughput using just two. But i don't know if those difference's are moot considering the gross increase in MB's :confused:

Attachments

• ram mode.jpg
    ram mode.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 41
For that slow of a processor, you are actually getting an excellent plugin count, considering they ARE Waves, which are legendary CPU hogs! I think you MIGHT get maybe one or two more plugins with faster ram. But, I would hardly think it is worth the expense.

I forgot about overclocking! Heck, if all your pci cards will deal with it, it would be worth the few bucks to get a better fan and more fans for your case to give overclocking a try. THAT would net you some more plugin's for sure!!!

Don't get too bogged down on the whole ram thing. It really doesn't make that much difference. It is quickly a diminishing returns thing. Trust me on this.

sonusman said:
For that slow of a processor, you are actually getting an excellent plugin count

Ha! Computers are funny :D
It was not too long ago when i left with that big box from the store, thinking, "man, i got me the mean fastest machine" :D And now im the slow kid on the block :eek:

Yeah, im still happy with it..it was the first computer I ever owned that functioned like I thought a computer should!

sonusman said:
Don't get too bogged down on the whole ram thing. It really doesn't make that much difference. It is quickly a diminishing returns thing. Trust me on this.

Damn! I already bought the stuff! Got a fairly good deal on it though (126$ for 1024Mb's). Maybe it'll improve the graphics stuff i do in photoshop?

T

Surprising results...

So, i took out the old stick (512mb 333Mhz), and put in the new 512mb PC3200/400mhz DDR sticks in the optimum configuration as noted in the above attatchment (I now have 1 gig in total installed). There is a significant difference. Im running the same song in CEP that i posted above, at 24 tracks...except with 47 WAVES plugins running (renn comp, renn EQ, enigma, trueverb) with no drop out's/stuttering etc. Throw on a few WAVES renn verb (the biggest CPU hog of them all) on top of that, and some stuttering starts. And im typing out this post at the same time :eek: .

If other obervations posted above concerning the gross amount of RAM (i.e. increasing MB's does not give a linear increase in performance) also hold true for my system, then it would seem that forcing the motherboard to run the RAM at a non-optimal speed/configuration (333 running at 320mhz) creates a true and significant bottle neck for the processor. If i get more time, i might try throwing in the other stick, force the whole system to run at 320mhz, and see what happens....

T

uhhmmm errr uhh....

:confused:

Well, i was gonna update this thread with my latest findings.....
But it appears that Im now posting to myself in this thread :confused: :o :eek:

Folk's, I ain't crazy...but i remember responding to more than just me in this thread....where the hell did all the post's go?

Back