Which cheap synthesizer to choose

fova

Hello,

In our church we use a digital portable piano Korg SP200. Now we started to think about one more instruments that would be used together with SP200 - it means 2 players at the same time. My idea is to play piano sound on SP200 and some strings, organs, rhodes and other sounds on a second instrument. Together it can create some nice mix of sound. Sometimes 2-nd instrument should also generate a classic piano sound.

Second player is not so skilled so he will not probably want a weighted (hammer action ) keyboard but only semi weighted one. He does not need 88 keybs - 61 could be enough.

Therefore I started to think about some cheaper synthesizer. There are three ones that I found in Internet - Roland Juno D, Yamaha S03 and Korg X5D.

I have not played or heard any of them so could you give me your recommendation? My preference is sound quality, editing of sounds is not important. 90% of time it will be used only on stage.
Or is there any other way to go?

Thanks.

The three mentioned are quality keyboards from reputable manufacturers and all three will have the basic ingredients you are looking for as far as sound goes. None have a semi-weighted keyboard though -- they are all 'synth action' keyboards. See if you can have the other player accompany you to a music store and try them out together.

Here is a link to a semi-weighted midi controller --- LINK --- but you would need a capable sound module for the other end of the midi wire.

I tried both the Yamaha S03 and Korg X5D. I liked them both, but I did lean a little towards the KORG though. :D

fova said:
Hello,

In our church we use a digital portable piano Korg SP200. Now we started to think about one more instruments that would be used together with SP200 - it means 2 players at the same time. My idea is to play piano sound on SP200 and some strings, organs, rhodes and other sounds on a second instrument. Together it can create some nice mix of sound. Sometimes 2-nd instrument should also generate a classic piano sound.

Second player is not so skilled so he will not probably want a weighted (hammer action ) keyboard but only semi weighted one. He does not need 88 keybs - 61 could be enough.

Therefore I started to think about some cheaper synthesizer. There are three ones that I found in Internet - Roland Juno D, Yamaha S03 and Korg X5D.

I have not played or heard any of them so could you give me your recommendation? My preference is sound quality, editing of sounds is not important. 90% of time it will be used only on stage.
Or is there any other way to go?

Thanks.

A used Roland XP30 would be a better all around value than any of those newer boards you mention. I had a X5D and promptly got rid of it.

The XP30 has over 1300 sounds and is of higher quality than the newer RS series and Juno-D.

In this case I am afraid to buy a used gear. The new keyboard will be used very intensively for at least next 5 years. I assume that on a used one the keyboard will die very soon under such heavy conditions.

I have one Roland keyboard at home that was used very heavily for at least 7 years. This year some keys stopped playing. I dissasembled whole unit, made some small repair and all keys again worked. After one week another key gone and I do not want to repair it again. It looks that this keyboard is in the end of its life time.

Now imagine that I will buy 5 years old XP30. What will probably happen? After several months of intesive playing in a church we will send it for some repair of keys. I would like to avoid such situation so my intention is to buy a new gear.

What model Roland did you have at home? It must have been a lower end/entry level one. I owned both a Roland XP30 and an XP80, and the XP80 in particular lasted me for a good 5 years with zero problems - and I used it extensively in church and other live venues, and played hard with a couple organ sounds - not pipe organ - rock organ stuff. The XP30 I owned for about two years, and I will certainly agree it is a great value, with a great sound set.

I guess in regards to new vs. used gear - get what you can afford. I've never personally bought used gear, but I certainly would not be afraid to. I've just gotten great deals on new gear.

How heavily is heavily used for you? I've beaten on my old Yamaha DX7 for the last, well, almost 20 years and the thing still plays fine - all keys work. I guess that says alot about Yamaha, but I've always felt Roland quality was good as well.

Rolands with wrong keys are E-14. It is really lower end keyboard but still its price was $550.
Based on this experience I do not think anything bad about Roland. Those E-14 made an excellent job - we used them every Sunday in a church where the players REALLY beat to keys during worship, then I used it at home for training and for home recording and finally it was also used during some open air events. 7 years of such conditions are IMO good result.

As for keyboards I have the same attitude like you - it means I would not buy a used one. Other items like mikes can be OK as a used ones.

As I wrote above we have one main instrument - Korg SP200 and this one should be a 2-nd one or better said a complementary one. So it does not need to be Kurzweil K2000. We only need it to generate organ sound like Hammonds B3, some lazy but rich strings, electric piano like Yammy DX7 and occasionaly also grand piano and church organ. If these sound are fine I am satisfied. These sounds does not need to be perfect since SP200 will generate a main piano sound.

My price limit for this new instrument is something between $800 and $1200.

I'm sorry, but the used gear only being trouble excuse is absurd. I have owned several peices of used gear in the last 5-7 years and never had any issues (Roland D-50, Korg M1/M1r, Yamaha DX7). These boards were approching 10-20 years and worked just fine.

The XP30 is built like a tank when compared to the X5D and Juno-D. My XP30 went back and forth to church 2 times a week for 2 years and still looks and performs like it did the day I bought it. It also happened to be a demo model which sat on the store floor for who knows how long before I bought it...

brzilian certainly is right about the XP30. For the time I owned it, I thought is was VERY well built.

As for my attitude about keyboards, I didn't say I wouldn't buy used - just that I've been lucky to get good...actually...great deals on new gear. If you are that afraid to buy something used, then don't! Not sure what else to say :)

fova said:
bsr2002, what was the reason for your choice?

I believe it was because I was already used to the format of KORG. From M-1 to Triton the user interface stays similar with more stuff being added as a new keyboard comes about. I liked the sounds on both, but I always liked the organs produced by KORG and being easy to tweek to taste. :)

Just my opinion,
Cheers :)

bsr2002 said:
I believe it was because I was already used to the format of KORG. From M-1 to Triton the user interface stays similar with more stuff being added as a new keyboard comes about. I liked the sounds on both, but I always liked the organs produced by KORG and being easy to tweek to taste. :)

Just my opinion,
Cheers :)
I'll second that opinion. Organs are a forte of the Korg line. I have been a long time user of Korg, and prefer them over most any other board. How ever I'll vouche for the XP Rolands too. Always liked 'em. Another one to try out is the Alesis QS-6.2. At $600 new, you could also afford to fill it up with expansion cards (Alesis makes a nice Q-Card called "Sanctuary", for your church needs). http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/705537/ Trust me, this is one excellent live synth.

Thanks all for your time and answers. Your opinions convinced me that XP30 must be really outstanding piece of gear.
But still I have certain aversion to a used gear based on my experiences and it is hard for me to overcome it in my head. Maybe in the future.

Because this instrument will be just complementary one and because several people recommended me Juno from these three cheap synths I made a decision to buy Juno.

Back