Which causes WOW: Tapes or recorder?

Grey Angel

Angel of Shredding
I have a Fostex X-12, the cheapest model of 4 track they make. I also got some cheap tapes for free. I'm having a big problem with the wow effect... Can someone tell me if it could be just the tapes? Or is it more likeley the recorder? :confused:

Probably because it is cheap gear and cheap media...

I had one similar and it sounded like hell.

Why not get one of the newer digital ones???or record into your PC?

I'd change to a premium tape, maybe a different brand even, to see if your wow dissappears. If not, a belt or roller is probably shot.

Long play tapes (60 and 90 minute) are made thinner and they're more likely to stretch or slip. Use C30's or C20's and see if that fixes the problem.

If your using old tapes, they could be stretched or warped. If they're new tapes, though, anything up to a C90 should be fine (the 120s should definitely be avoided at all costs, though.)

Get a new C60 for testing. Stick with Maxell if you can, and go with high-bias chrome; go with metal for now only if that's all the machine will take, otherwise stick with chrome for the testing. Clean the heads, capstan and pinch roller with quality head cleaning fluid (stay away from drugstore rubbing alchohol) and lint-free swabs (no Q-Tip brand swabs.) Clean these parts by rubbing only in the direction of tape travel (left-right, not up-down).

After cleaning inspect the heads and the pinch roller carefully, If you still see "rust bands" where the tape path is and/or you see an indentation in the pinch roller where the tape travels, you have severe tape path wear. If the rubber on the capstan or pinch roller appear cracked anywhere, they need replacing.

If they look OK to the eyesight, then try the new tape. If you're still getting wow, you probably either have a deformed or worn capstan, pinch roller or pinch roller spindle, or you have a worn or stretched drive belt. If after all those have been checked or passed, then it's most likely a worn out drive motor itself.

Good luck. Hope it's only the tape ;) .

G.

Man, thats what worries me : Got the Fostex on Christmas, w/ tapes. They're 30 min tapes, though I have no idea if they're type 1 or 2. I've never used tapes other than these. I found some 30 min TDM tapes on musiciansfriend.com...they come in 10 packs though, and I dont want to spend the 25 bucks on it until im sure its the tape. I might risk it anyway.

My brother told me I should have gotten a Digital recorder too, but I like tapes, for some silly reason. Nostalgia, maybe? :o

Are you running a line level signal or are you micing whatrever it is your recording? I have an x12 and I know that for me at least it sounds horrible unless its mic'd.

Well, both. I run a guitar directly into it, and a mic through an amp. I got some new tapes, but they're 60 min, radio shack tapes. Is that bad...? :o

kid klash said:
I'd change to a premium tape, maybe a different brand even, to see if your wow dissappears. If not, a belt or roller is probably shot.

If the machine hasn't been refurbished recently, a good place to start is to make sure you have reasonable tension from the tension arms and adjust if needed.

My second guess would be excessively jerky motion of one reel or the other. Lubricate/adjust the clutch if needed. If that doesn't help, try replacing the pinch roller and, if applicable, capstan belts.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. A lot of tape decks vary in speed according to the line frequency on your power lines. If you happen to live in a third world country or are using a continuous duty UPS, this could be an issue....

dgatwood said:
If the machine hasn't been refurbished recently, a good place to start is to make sure you have reasonable tension from the tension arms and adjust if needed.

My second guess would be excessively jerky motion of one reel or the other. Lubricate/adjust the clutch if needed. If that doesn't help, try replacing the pinch roller and, if applicable, capstan belts.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. A lot of tape decks vary in speed according to the line frequency on your power lines. If you happen to live in a third world country or are using a continuous duty UPS, this could be an issue....

Man, I thought I was pretty good at driving a standard...but crap! Ok, I'll go look for info on capstans and clutches and all that good stuff. Thanks guys.

Back