which budget mic?

vbibber

Hi there!

I have a behringer mic 100 pre-amp and I'm looking for a budget condenser mic to make some homerecordings. The mic is going to be used on vocals, acoustic guitar and perhaps acoustic bass and cello. Most important are the vocals though. I have a rather high voice for a man and I want it te be recorded in a nice way. I don't want to spend much, so I am talking really budget. Some mics I'm looking at:

MCA SP-1
Samson C-01
Behringer C-1
MXL 990
Superlux HO 8

Anyone who has got some advice for me? I'd really appreciate it!

Some others to add to your list:

MXL V67g
Studio Projects B1

I would choose either of those two over any of the mics you've listed.

That wouldnt surprise me, because the mics you listed are more expensive than the ones on my list ;0). The mics I listed are more or less 60 euros (70$), while yours are 120$ and 145$. So the question is, what is the best really low budget mic (70$ or less)? Or are they all really that shite? Would it really make a big difference with a low budget pre-amp, and even lower-budget soundcard (terratec dmx xfire 1024) and shitty creative speakers as monitors??

Sorry, didn't know you were in Europe. The ones I listed both sell for $99 in the US (and are definitely worth the extra $20-30). I own a couple of the MXL 990 and, while they are o.k. for acoustic guitars and clean sounds from guitar amps, they are rarely my first choice for vocals (bright, somewhat boxy sound). Recordings I've heard with the Samson and Behringer mics are just awful (harsh, thin, grating).

I wouldnt pick the 990 but I haven't heard the others. It's has a very bright and harsh top end that seems to distort very easily. I would consider putting a little extra cash if you can and maybe get a Rode, Studio Projects, or Audio Technica. I have heard good thing about the MXL V67 as well.

I hate to sound snobbish but I would like to know an answer to the question.

All right, we know of Studio Projects mics and that they are pretty good for the money. They are made in China and probably of quality you expect from mass produced [junk] products.

Why would you buy a SP mic when you could get a 'world known' Rode mic for just about the same price but for better quality?

But I guess this is kinda like why buy a Lexus when you can get a Toyota for less even though they are made by the same company.

cafr said:
I hate to sound snobbish but I would like to know an answer to the question.

Of the mics listed by the original poster, I would choose the MXL 990, but only because they are cheap and I own a couple and have found uses for them. However, I've never heard the Superlux or MCA mics.

Why would you buy a SP mic when you could get a 'world known' Rode mic for just about the same price but for better quality?

I don't follow. The SP B-1 is $99 and the Rode NT-1A is $199. Certainly in the same price bracket (cheap), but the Rode is still twice as much. I own one of the original NT-1's and think it is just fine. Some folks prefer the sound of the SP C-1 to the NT-1A, but I think they're fairly similar.

cafr said:
Because the Rode mic doesn't necessarily have better quality.

Why ask a question with questionable assumptions? :p

Yo Cafr! First of all, *all* microphones under $1000 are mass produced, and most of the ones over $1000 as well. The Rode is also built in China, at least the capsule, although I understand the project is under way to move production to Australia. Rode- "world known"?- It's known the world over as a company that builds cheap mics that are worth the price that is charged for them. Of course, location and tariffs are an issue. In the U.S., the Rodes are more expensive relative to Studio Projects than in Europe, and in Australia, I have no idea how the prices compare. We're not talking about a Lexus here. We're comparing a Hyundai Accent to a Ford Focus. Even the Classic II is on the high end of mid-priced mics, a Mitsubishi Eclipse or a Toyota Celica. Your Lexus- now that's Neumann, B.L.U.E. Bottle, Brauner, Microtech Gefell, Schoeps, DPA.
Frankly, the price of a Rode NT1a wouldn't pay for the pop filter and the shock mount of a high end mic. But yes, we mostly work for a living (I do), and we have to set priorities. Any project studio that is worth anything is a combination of cheap stuff that works, mid-priced stuff that works, and a few carefully chosen items that really are top of the line.
I've got about $6000 sunk into mics, and that doesn't even scratch the surface of what I would own if I had unlimited funds. A B.L.U.E. Bottle with all the capsules is close to $10,000 U.S., and I would really like a pair, but it's not worth being served with divorce papers. When comparing a couple of mics like a Studio Projects C-1 and a Rode NT-1a, there isn't much difference. Both mics are *very* cheap by the real standards of the industry. Both are good for recording something some of the time. Both are reliable. Both are backed by excellent customer support, and both are essentially Chinese. The only real difference is which mic sounds better to you on whatever you want to record.-Richie

Thanks for all your replies! I know now that the SP B1 and also the Rode NT1 are favorites. But I don't know why everyone is so negative about the Samson C01, since it got fairly good reviews in soundonsound and music tech. I just want to know which 70$ mic is the best. Does anyone have recordings of the MCA SP1 and the Samson C01 that I can listen to??

vbibber said:
Thanks for all your replies! I know now that the SP B1 and also the Rode NT1 are favorites. But I don't know why everyone is so negative about the Samson C01, since it got fairly good reviews in soundonsound and music tech. I just want to know which 70$ mic is the best. Does anyone have recordings of the MCA SP1 and the Samson C01 that I can listen to??
If I just had $70, I would buy two Nady CM100 small omni mics. I could probably do a whole album with just those two mics.

Richard Monroe said:
When comparing a couple of mics like a Studio Projects C-1 and a Rode NT-1a, there isn't much difference. Both mics are *very* cheap by the real standards of the industry. Both are good for recording something some of the time. Both are reliable. Both are backed by excellent customer support, and both are essentially Chinese. The only real difference is which mic sounds better to you on whatever you want to record.-Richie

...I would slightly disagree with this statement...there is a definate difference in "build-quality" between Rode and SP mics...the Rode mics are better constructed both in the heavier, superior machining of the body and grill assembly, and the internal electronics (surface-mounted circuitry) and edge-terminated capsules (no longer OEM Chinese "center -terminated" design capsules)...I would say that while many of the Chinese manufactured entry-level mics qualify as "very cheap", the Rode mics are "inexpensive" and there's more than a just grammatic differential...
....although, when Rode began building mics, they were essentially "upgrading" Chinese manufactured mics (simply swapping out circuit boards with better caps and components) as can be seen by comparing the original NT2 to Behringers B2 (almost identical mics)...but since Rode has moved production to Australia, they have incorporated much higher quality build improvements as well as unique design statements (like the unique NT2000)...I have the SP B1, C1 and T3 as well as the Rode NT1000, NT2, NTK and K2...there may be little difference in sound between the lower priced NT1A and C1, but as you compare the higher priced models, both the build quality and the sound differentials become more evident (even with only $100-200 retail dollars separating the T3 and the K2, the very obvious build-quality as well as a smoother, "bigger" sound make the Rode the better buy <IMHO>...)
...I would say that Rode is working to bridge the gap between the budget priced Chinese mics and the high-end Euro classics...using the auto analogy, if SP is the Toyota, Rode IS more like the Lexus, while Neumann and Gefell are the Rolls and Bentley of the industry...

...read these reviews for more specific info on build quality and circuit/capsule design improvements:
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/60D13B8C0E0AFA5986256A1D005425AB
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/rodent.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FGL/is_7_20/ai_n6048240

Last edited:
As far as I know, Røde only assemble the mics in Australia - all of the parts continue to be made in China. Not that that makes a blind bit of difference ... just people like a bit of a conspiracy. :)

noisedude said:
As far as I know, Røde only assemble the mics in Australia - all of the parts continue to be made in China. Not that that makes a blind bit of difference ... just people like a bit of a conspiracy. :)

...back in the mid 90's this was true, but Rode has since moved all manufacturing to Australia, including the complete machining of all metal components, robotic assembly of surface-mounted circuitry, and hand assembled, in-house designed capsule assembly...
...from the Rode website:
"In 1998, having established itself as a leading force in this emerging market, RØDE Microphones moved into a new purpose-built 20,000 sq ft factory and offices near the home of Sydney 2000 Olympics.
The premises allowed for the necessary increases in electronic production, assembly, warehousing, dispatch and administration, to supply the growing worldwide demand.
A separate dedicated metalwork facility located in Mudgee, 250 km north west of Sydney, is equipped with the latest computer controlled machinery, producing microphone bodies and associated fittings and componentry to the highest international standards."

kidvybes said:
...back in the mid 90's this was true, but Rode has since moved all manufacturing to Australia, including the complete machining of all metal components, robotic assembly of surface-mounted circuitry, and hand assembled, in-house designed capsule assembly...
...from the Rode website:
"In 1998, having established itself as a leading force in this emerging market, RØDE Microphones moved into a new purpose-built 20,000 sq ft factory and offices near the home of Sydney 2000 Olympics.
The premises allowed for the necessary increases in electronic production, assembly, warehousing, dispatch and administration, to supply the growing worldwide demand.
A separate dedicated metalwork facility located in Mudgee, 250 km north west of Sydney, is equipped with the latest computer controlled machinery, producing microphone bodies and associated fittings and componentry to the highest international standards."
Back in the mid 90s it wasn't true - the mics were just off-the-peg OEM mics. I've read the Røde website before, but it was a couple of other people in the industry who told me how Røde currently operate ... and no, neither was who you think they were. :)

Like I say, it makes no difference at all ... but there is definitely a case for saying Røde are being a little misleading on their cheaper products. I guess they are trading on the insecurities around China - we just got a bunch of Hartke gear in the shop and they say "Designed and Engineered in the USA" on the side .... if you look very closely you might be able to spot "Made in China" on them too. ;)

FWIW - I still think the Samson C01 is a piece of junk, you can get good results from a Behringer B-1, if you want one of the generic A-51/V67/NT2/JM47 mics then get whatever's cheapest (usually the Stagg-branded one), a little more money will get you an SP B1, SE2200A or Red5 RV8. A bit more money again and you're looking at Hamburg/Viennas, SP C1s and NT2As, all of which are very good mics.

Pick one and go with it -- you'll probably be fine whatever you pick!

Nik

Yo Kidvybes! If all manufacture has been moved to Australia, I'd be likely to agree with you. Note that I use mics by Rode *and* Studio Projects, and I have had no major complaints with either company. I have had problems with accessories from both companies, and the problems have been resolved *very* quickly and easily by both companies. I prefer the C-4 to the NT-5, but have gotten very good service from the NTK. Frankly, heavier casing and grills doesn't concern me, except insofar as it affects sound, as I don't abuse mics. Obviously, superior internal components are a plus, not only because they tend to be more reliable, but more consistent as well. I am not particularly impressed by the Rode Classic II. I consider AT 4060 a more desirable valve mic for a lot less money. While SP has been talking about the Stephen Paul mics for years, the delivery has been delayed repeatedly. Currently, neither Rode nor SP sells a high end mic that is worth the money, but they both build very usable cheap mics. In bridging the gap between cheap mics and the high end, I don't see a big success by either company. Neither has built an equivalent to C414, Baby Bottle, KSM44 or Josephson C42. If I was looking for a good cheap mic, Rode and SP would be at the top of my list. If I wanted a good mid-priced mic, I'd be looking at AKG, B.L.U.E., Soundelux, Josephson, ADK. For a high end mic, my list would be headed up by Brauner, Schoeps, Gefell, Neumann, DPA, Lawson, and the higher end B.L.U.E. and Soundelux offerings.
What I'd really like to see is Rode and SP building a kickass dynamic to go head to head with SM7, RE20, MD441, and Beyerdynamic. Like you say, we only disagree *a little*.-Richie

Back