Which Brand of Hard Drive

sonnylarsen

My hdd just had a massive coronary and died. (I have fully confirmed it, there is no recovering the data short of going to a forensics lab and having the actual disk removed, and even then, iffy). And I must buy a new one. I am undecided between WD and Maxtor. The WD's cost more, but I've been hearing that Maxtor is actually better.

Which one should I get?:(

Get the Maxtor the new range is excellent, never got on with WD and the IBM drives are getting a slagging for reliability (now I find out after putting 2 in my Alesis HD24)

The formatting software that comes with the maxtor drives "Maxblast" is very good. Much better than shitty "Fdisk"

Seagate Baracudda 7200 rpm ide or Ultra ata (i can't recall). This is a wonderful hard drive. The thing is a tank, well built. It is fast also, but most of all it is almost totally quiet. If you go to some of the websites that promote or sell "quiet" components for audio/multimedia applications (or just to have a quiet computer), This new line of Baracudda is the only harddrive mentioned. I think Fujitzu is quiet also, and some IBM's but I did the research and the Segates are the quietest. Seatgate specifically promotes this line as being really quiet. In other words, it's designed to be quiet, not just sort of quiet as result of certain design decisions.

The only noise I can tell that is from the Seagate is a short quiet whine when it spins up for a refresh.

The 2 things you need for audio recording hard drive is speed and quiet operation. THis fits both.

Go to www.pricewatch.com and you'll find them at some pretty good prices. I bought the 60 gig myself. Pricewatch had them around $95.00

Good luck
jack

Speed is not a really big issue in hd-recording because nowadays every new hd on the market is fast enough to handle an huge amount of tracks.
If you'd use your new hd solely for data and have another for the OS and programs, the data disk should record 30 tracks in 24bits/96kHz easily and have enough reserves for probably another 30.

Noise... Well, buy a quiet one, of course. BUT don't forget the fan of the power supply and the cpu cooler. They'll probably make more noise so if your keen on getting the quietest hd, you may also need to consider replacing some fans or it will be pretty useless.

Which brand? It doesn't really matter very much. Almost all of them had a lesser design one time or another and even the best drives may crash. The important factor is: How's the warranty handled so be sure to check that out.

Maxtor D740X Diamond Max Plus Series.

Previous to owning my 40GB D740X I had a 40GB IBM Deskstar. I diskbench'ed it before getting rid of it. When I installed my new Maxtor, the first thing I did was diskbench it. It smoked the IBM in every way, shape, and form. I've never been happier with an IDE HDD. Every review I read showed the benchmarks on the Maxtor outperforming the WD's and IBM's and I found that to be true in real world application.

WATYF

Seagate Barracuda I have to second. This is the only drive I will buy - PERIOD.

After having many top line IBMs crash on me in the last 2 years.

THe Barracuda IV is a beautiful drive....has protective shielding on both sides, not just open components on one....

Super fast and reliable, quiet...Comes in a great case...and it is pretty cheap.

www.newegg.com

has the 40 gig for 73 dollars or the 60 gig for 90. Load up :)

Service

I had a really good experience with Maxtor's service. My HDD calved b/c of a virus, and they replaced no questions asked. Even sent me a 40 GB when the one that failed was a 20 GB. Something to think about

OK, I went with the maxtor 60 Gb 7200. Best Buy was selling it for 30 buck less than the equivalent WD and it has equal perfomance, according to all the info I could find on it. Needed more space anyway. I may be switching to a 2 drive config later, but one has worked fine so far.

Thanks for the input.

Sonny

Back