which approach to go digital to my pc's cd-drive?

PBrown

I'm trying to avoid being unhappy after saving my money to do this. I have a 450mhz pc with a factory soundblaster card. I bought Cakewalk for starters, and am totally new to home recording. I planned on getting a better, and more versatile soundcard like an Aark 20/20, Wave 8/24, or a Core 2 system.(The <$1000.00 range) Now I'm wondering if I would be better of going with a digital multitrack to get it done. I understand if I go that route I will still want to get a better sound card to get a higher bit recording to my CD, but am just at a loss for what to do. PLEASE HELP.

I've used a Roland VS-880 for a few years, and like it for the most part. It's very portable, but that's about the only advantage it has over computer based setups to me. I move everything to my PC before I start editing tracks. I'm leaning towards moving my entire setup over to the PC right now, and looking at some similar options that you mentioned.

I just saw a video for the Digi001 from Digidesign, and once they port the ProTools LE software over to the PC from the Mac, I think that's the way I'm going. It's incredible. Check out the website, www.digi001.com. you can order the video for free right from there. I got the video about a week after ordering it, and it really shows the power of the ProTools software and what the hardware portion of the Digi001 can do. The whole setup is impressive, and has a list price of $995. Who knows when the software will actually be done for the PC though.

Back