Whic Mic?

Looking for a great vocal mic around $500. It will be a "workhorse" mic. I'll use it with a Great River pre, mainly for vocals, and on a loud, high gain, 4x12 cab. Having been disappointed with the Rode NT1 A (sibilance) on vocals, I'm looking at these:
AT 4050
Studio Projects T3
AT 3060
Rode NT2 A
Rode NTK
Any comments on these mics with the Great River and my applications? Thanx!

My vote goes to the AT4050 in the workhorse category. It's It's often suggested to back away from the microphone to reduce sibilance.

I recently had the same exact mics on my to buy list. I ended up getting the NTK which, while I just got it a few days ago, I LOVE. So I would definitely recommend it.

The NT2A would be more versatile, with the multiple polar patterns, but if your mainly using it on just vocals I think the NTK would be better, the then you could also consider the T3 which is supposed to be almost as good as the NTK with vocals, but with the versatility of multiple polar patterns.

I personally don't really like audiotechnica mics, especially on vocals. Not sure why, maybe I just haven't had the right experiences with them.

I'm a fan of Rode's Mics. We tend to go for warmth and in my experience, Rode's LDC mics are very warm. Sometimes too warm, but that's easy enough to fix. THe NTK is a cool mic. I had a capsule problem with my NT2000. I called them they sent a return shipping label out next day air, for next day air service. I had it back in five days total good as new. So i'm pleased with their products and pleased with the company itself.

Gnash5150 said:
Looking for a great vocal mic around $500. It will be a "workhorse" mic. I'll use it with a Great River pre, mainly for vocals, and on a loud, high gain, 4x12 cab. Having been disappointed with the Rode NT1 A (sibilance) on vocals, I'm looking at these:
AT 4050
Studio Projects T3
AT 3060
Rode NT2 A
Rode NTK
Any comments on these mics with the Great River and my applications? Thanx!

From your list above the AT4050 would be a good choice IMHO. It's a mic that works on most anything and will do a good job for you. I think 8th Street Music has the 4050 B stock on sale for $349 shipped which is a great deal on a multi pattern mic.

The NTK will do a decent job for you especially if you change out the tube with a Siemens CCA which will run you about $80 to $120 depending on if it is used or NOS.

I've never used the T3 but there are a lot of people in here that love the mic. It gives you multiple patterns so it could be a workhorse like the AT4050. I'm not familar with the rest of the mics on your list. Good luck.

I'll echo...the 4050 and the NTK. They really are different monsters. The 4050 is a multipattern and it's not tube...I like the NTK for my vocals, and I use it mostly for this. I have a 4040 and I'd love to pick up the 4050. In my opinion you should pick up either one and expect to pick up the other when you can.

Jacob

Thanx eveyone. I would like to think, eventually, I would buy most of the mics on my list, but then I could be saving for a $1000 mic. The AT4050, with the GR color, is really grabbing my attention right now. :p

Back