Where to find bass if it doesn't exist in the mix?

Pykon

Hi.

I've made a mix of vocals & acoustic guitar.

There was something wrong which made a sound odd to my ears, so after a lot of adjustment I decided to change the strings.

After that my guitar lost low and mid-low range power in favour of wall of transients and harmonics at plus 10 k.

I've tried a lot to find at least some bass in guitar track, but these new strings just refuse to produce low tones.

Even precise eqing introduces only resonances that interfere with each other, cleaning the range from harmonics cut with a string key brings more clarity, but on the low and even mid-low range there seems to be no tone to rely on.

Even when isolated and compressed, low frequencies of the guitar are not fluent, they appear for a moment just to disappear. Another clue: I'm not playing all the strings all the time, track begins with DGBE only, then I add some A string playing, and E is used only in a fiew parts of the song, which makes it very univen on low tones.

This makes narrow eqing of low strings inproper, as toing so just amplifies the diffferenc between parts when low strings are player or not.

What have I tried to work it out? Multiband comperession - works great but won't bring up the lower tones which seem to be not existent. NY compressing the guitar with a single band compressor through high-cut eq helped to fill some gaps, but bass was too boomy. I've also tried to cut the ocasssionally played A string and then recover some bass from others, but the effect was an unnatural, muffeled sound. Recirding guitar through condenser mic instead of its built-in piezo pick-up brings huge differences in timbre and overall sound, but still with almost no low tones.

Maybe I should try a selective, automated eqing the strings? I don't think so, since It would amplify the contrast between parts when bass strings are played and the rest.

Here is the track.

Just one word left: HELP!

mike

Last edited:
Back