where to buy tascam 34 heads?

robert_millsap

I recently purchased a tascam 34 and the heads seem a little worn, does anybody know where i can find them new? also I am new to reel to reel recording any advice on head alignment and other maintenance would be greatly appreciated

Its worth checking with Teac in Montebello, California. They may have them in stock and they may not be as pricey as you think. And there's always openreel.net...$116USD or so brand spankin' new.

Do you have a manual?

Also, define "a little worn".

'beats is right, the narrow gauge or larger format heads are pretty steep, (try $1000 or so for a 1/2" 16 track) but a 1/4" four track head shouldn't set you back far at all, and more likely than not Teac in Montebello will have one. I've also recently had JRF relap a 16 track head, he is real quick and will call you to discuss the head w/ you. Teac will also be able to sell you a manual both operating and service. It is worth the $30 or so it will cost.

As far as alignment is concerned, you should really find a competent repair shop to do this initially, unless you want to invest in good test equipment up front and have some skill already in this area. There are several threads here on that subject though, check them out first.

So here is a set of 34 heads but I am no expert at judging heads. And these are for sale at a very good price.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 48
Those look nice, Herm. From what I can see they have even wear, are clean, probably many miles left on the current profile and then relappable. I'd wager that they cal up just fine.

Plus the Seller is reliable. ;)

Back