Where to buy Minidiscs?

Luuke

I would like to buy data MDs for a Yamaha MD4S.
Does Guitar Center carry these?
Is it better to purchase online?
What brand should I get?
How much would I expect to pay for good ones?

Thanks!

The best deal I've seen is at http://www.tapeworld.com But since I hate waiting for stuff, I just printed out their price and took it into Guitar center for a price match. I think they were $11.99 or so.
Whatever you do, don't order from musicians friend. You'll order minidiscs and get konga's. http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=19579

I think the consensus on brand is sony. Usually when you hear horror stories about bad discs, they were TDK's or something.

Hope that helps!

-nilbog

Yo NILBOG OF THE GOBLIN WORLD:

I did some stuff on one of the TKD discs this evening with a singer. Before she got here, I was running the disc and the fricking thing came up with DISC ERROR; I ran it back and then used the vacuum cleaner on the disc and in the feed tray of the MD8; it worked all right but I was worried that something worse might happen. All of the recorded music was intact and the session went off without a hitch.

But, I've also had error disc on a Sony disc and that's when I decided to use the vacuum, gently, on disc and disc entry way. So far, so good but I'll never buy anything at MF again because they are truly MF'S

They should beware of the sting of the GREEN HORNET

gh

I hate to disagree with Nilbog because I'm sure he knows way more than I do. Still I think his prejudice against TDK (or non-Sony branded MD's) is not based on factual information but rather on preference. If you read other threads on this bulletin board, you will not find many comments that provide empirical data to support that Sony is a superior brand. Instead, you will find a few comments that imply that the Sony branded disks appear to be from the same mold as (or in other words, completely identical to) TDK disks.

As I have stated before, Sony has not convincingly produced any products whose quality is beyond question. I have had several Sony products over the years, including their 4 track MD recorder, TVs, stereo amplifiers, CD players and the like. My experience with Sony products has been that while they are truly an innovative company, their QC leaves a lot to be desired.

My own opinion is that you will find nothing inferior with the TDK disks. I have 20 plus MD data disks and 18 of them are TDK. I cannot recall any problems with my MD-8 that were related to poor quality disks from TDK.

Just an alternative thought to what has already been posed.

Hope you were able to find a good deal on disks!

Best regards,
DHN

Yo DHN of Empiricle knowledge: Yikes!

I think you are right about the TKD data discs. Sony discs don't let you see the "little" disc inside the plastic casing; TKD discs let you see that little guy.

I also agree that Sony puts out many products below the line of good quality. However, I have one of their ES model tape decks and it is a winner, so far. But, it was pricy.

I also had a twin Tascam deck that was so noisy I had to replace it. Every time I pushed a switch on that dumb deck it popped and clicked and snorted and made the tape sound like a track for a war zone. Poor quality control indeed.

I did have a disc error on the first TKD disc I used; but, I just used the old vacuum cleaner on it and the disc well of my MD8, as I've done in the past, and it worked fine.

But, it still did Musician's Friend a lot of damage out here when they advertised Sony and sent TKD.

Cio,

Green Hornet

No argument regarding Musician's Friend. I ordered the same "Sony" disks from them and received the TDKs. That's bs. I just noticed that some products such as the TDK disks get beat up on this bulletin board without the facts to support the claims. No slam on anyone, just felt I needed to point that out.

Once again, hope Mr. Luuke found a deal on disks as that was his original request. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

DHN

just curious

just a quick question i'm getting rid of my ancient 4 track and getting a
Yamaha,,,i think the MD8 anyway i just wanted to know if there are any other companys that make MD data disks

thanks,,,Bob

Yamaha is the only maker of multitrack mini disk recorders now. Both Tascam and Sony have discontinued their (4 track) models. I thought I read somewhere that Yamaha plans to discontinue their 4 track model, but I could be mistaken. If that were so, the MD8 would be the soul survivor. However, in my opinion, it was/is the best choice of all the multitrack mini disk recorders anyway. In addition, if I had to buy a multitracker all over again, I would still select the MD8 over the hard disk recorders or the computer. It's simple to use and I like the removable aspect of the data disk--as easy to use as a 4 track cassette deck but with much better fidelity.

Have fun making your decision.

DHN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AAAAAUGH!

STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shit. DataMDs are gonna shoot through the roof. Dammit.

Back