where to begin?

JGunnerG

Okay, im about to buy some equipment to record my own music, but i just wanted to ask some questions on setups. Ive been searching around and come across the Behringer UB244FX Pro, and it is said you can use it for recording purposes. What i would really like to do is get a mixer like this and record into a pc (eventually into a mac) and edit on a program such as SONAR or ACID. I was just wondering how i would hook this up or what else i would need beside the mixer to record to a pc. Also what would be the best choice for a program for editing and such?

you need to do a search and some reading around these forums and other places to get all the information you need but here's my starters for you:

when you record, you have a basic set of things you need to get a sound into your computer (the signal chain).

a basic chain goes microphone --> preamp --> analogue/digital converter (soundcard)

and then comes out through monitor speakers and/or headphones.

i don't know what equipment you already have but you need to address these three parts of the chain individually but in light of your total budget.

here's my inexpensive ideas:

mics -look at getting a large-diaphragm condenser mic. go to the mic forum and read up but the studio projects b-1 and the marshall mxl range get good write-ups for the money.
preamps - if you just need to record one or two channels at once get a dedicated preamp unit. if you need more or are willing to sacrifice quality in return for having loads of controls to fiddle with get a mixer. i think you should look at the Yamaha MG series mixers although the behringers might be fine to start out with.
soundcards - the m-audio range are your safest starters, but make no mistake they're serious recording cards. don't use a soundblaster of any description for recording. the Audiophile 24/96 is a good all-round card.

hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions etc.

Thanks for the advice. The Yamaha MG seems a lot better for me than the Behringer UB series. After reading around on this site, it seems like most people dont like behringer, or the people that use them. I also like what i see with the M-Audio, especially the 2496. Right now i have little more than a decent PC, and instruments a-plenty. Mics wont be a big deal for now. I have a pal that records with a roland vs series, with thousands of dollars in mics, so i can bum from him while i get other stuff...like monitors. Edirol (I think they are kinda like Roland's "Squier") has cheap ones, but reviews dont look too great. Ive heard the Yorkville monitors are good (but could be a stretch for a poor music junkie's budget), any suggestions? Also any suggestions for recording software, such as Ntracks or somehting?

Another idea for you (since you are just starting) is to look at the Aardvark Q10. It is an audio interface or sound card that has 8 mic inputs all with decent sounding preamps built in. 4 of them also have phantom power. Two of them can be used for direct instrument recording (like bass direct in, without a need for a DI box.)

These sound cards come with simple input software that eliminates the need for a mixer. Then you use something like Sonar to do the mix down.

You can also stack multiple Q10's together and get more ins. I use two Q10 plugged right into my PC and get decent results.

You can hear some examples here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/rmuttmusic.htm

(first three songs)

and here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/danwhitakercountrybandmusic.htm

(everything you hear)

The first link will take you to recordings done with just the Q10's my PC and some mics.

The second link will take you to some recordings where I have added a few low end preamps and compressors to my set up.

If you have any additional questions, let me know. I would be happy to help out if I can.

Jim

monitors

the consensus seems to be that for the price you can't go far wrong with monitors, so pick some you like listening to. the reason is that because plebs like us use untreated rooms with funny acoustic responses any little gain in flat response is lost in the corners or your bedroom!

the yorkevilles get a good press, as do the m-audios, behringers and events (though often to a lesser degree).

Re: monitors

noisedude said:
the consensus seems to be that for the price you can't go far wrong with monitors, so pick some you like listening to. the reason is that because plebs like us use untreated rooms with funny acoustic responses any little gain in flat response is lost in the corners or your bedroom!

the yorkevilles get a good press, as do the m-audios, behringers and events (though often to a lesser degree).

Great note about the untreated rooms and all. I meant to toss in my last post that I chose to use an older Harman Karden amp (very clean, much headroom) with some nicer JBL consumer bookshelf speakers. I did this because I already owned them and chose to spend my dough on 703 and plywood and build eight 2' x 8' bass traps.

In the end, it does not matter at all what you are using or what your room looks like as long as your mixes translate well. I am still very new to this, but I sure am glad I spent the money on the lumber for the trapping. Since we play in the same room we record and mix in, the trapping (and some other baffling, and some plain old fabric covered 703) has helped the overall sound a bunch.

Jim

yeah i don't know anything about how to do treating but i know i can hear the difference when it is done. good advice man.

do a search on "ethan winer" and find his site. He shares just about anything you would ever want to know about acoustic room treatments.

I would love to do some room treatment also, but it will have to wait until i get a more permanant place. Ill probably be out of the place im in now in less than a year. Anyone have good ideas on wall treatment cheap and ways to soundproof a room...or at least cut down on sound leaking out (or in for that matter)?

Back