Where in the recording chain to pad first?

stillnoname

I am just wondering where is the best place in my chain to pad? I have a condensor mic (shure ksm109) that connects to a MOTU 8pre recording interface. There are 3 separate 'pads' here:
-15db pad switch on the mic
-20db pad switch on the preamp
attenuation knob on the preamp

All of these affect the level going into my recorded track. Mostly I am wondering what is the optimal setting for the attenuation knob? If i should be leaving it 100% to the right (clockwise) and just use the other pad switches if I need a quieter signal to avoid clipping. Or should I not use the pad switches and instead use the attenuation knob?

Attenuate at the mic first, then the preamp if needed (although I doubt you'd need both!). I'm assuming by the "attenuation" knob you're talking about the gain knob on your 8pre?

Set the gain with *NO* pad if possible.

*IF* you need a pad (if you're close-mic'ing a cannon or something) try the pad on the mic first - If it sounds decent, run with it. If the pad on the MOTU sounds better, run with that.

But the pre-gain (head amp, preamp gain, whatever it's called on that unit) shouldn't be cranked up for any reason other than it's necessary (usually when recording mice burping or something similar).

"Clipping" shouldn't even be in the same paragraph - You shouldn't even approach clipping - at any time, at any point in the chain, at the input, on individual tracks, aux sends, busses, etc., etc.

Back