where/how to store your guitars

dirk_demon

Hi there to all of you!

I have a very small bedroom-studio and I was wondering where to put my guitars (2 electric, 2 acoustic and 2 more decorative mandoline-like instruments). I figured that I have one on the guitar stand on the floor, and the rest of them on the wall. However, I read that hanging your guitars on the neck isn't good for them. Most of you guys own a couple of instruments, so how are you dealing with this?

Thanks already!
~Dirk Demon~

Hanging them on the wall is a good choice....

Companies also make multiple guitar stands that can hold 5 or 6 electric guitars/basses. A friend of mine mounted that type of stand on sliders, and installed it into a short-height closet (under a slanted ceiling) thus using normally not-so-useful space. I might actually do the same thing in my studio - I have a slanted ceiling also.

hang em...

I hang them on the wall. I figure if all the guitar shops I go to (vintage no less) will hang them...so will I. I think the most critical thing is the humidity range for the room. Avoid big changes in humidity (like when your central heat turns on). Use a humidifier if possible, and invest $20 at radio shack for a digital hyrdometer.

I didn't put heat in my basement studio for this reason....but now, because my feet get cold, I'm thinking about putting the heat in and using a humidifier (not while recording of course).

In their cases

If you have hard cases, keep them in those. Boring yes but the best way to keep your guitar in tiptop shape. I read recently, too, that the rubber on most guitar stands/hangers will destroy the finish on a lot of guitars..something to do with chemistry...the rubber reacts with the cellulose finish or something. So be warned. Also, I've found that guitars on the wall can be responsible for nasty ringing resonances if they're close to your mics and/or speakers. Hope this helps!

USE THE WALLS

Good Morning, this is the first time here.(been trying to get in for a year.) To answer your question requires other information to optimize the space you have. My studio is also in a 9' x 11'6" bedroom. But you won't believe what I have in there. I will attach a photo on my next post.(server is down). I am a CAD designer/draftsman for a store fixture manufacturer, and use CAD for my studio design and layout. There are lots of solutions for this. I personally use slatwall at each end of the studio to hang instruments I am currently using. But the slatwall serves another pupose. Ii creates a backdrop as graphics which hide a cable trough in the middle of the wall that carries cabling to my multitrack fixture built into closet at the rear wall. Anyway, I would be happy to help. Email me for other solutions, just tell me your floor area and describe your layout. As far as storing them, I just put them in thier cases and store them in a closet. As for the slatwall, there are hundreds of brackets to use for, cables, speakers,
keyboards, headphones and even mixers etc. and I modified some for mike booms, controllers, music stands(on boom arms etc. I even have a rolling rack on the cieling for mic boom arms, lighting etc. Any thing to keep your floor area open for the occupants.
Have fun! Rick

Thanks to all of you!
I bought some guitar-hanging-devices at the music shop saturday, now they're hanging on a wall. They don't seem to resonate, I checked this first. Furthermore I built a small cabinet for my multitracker and some rackmount, so I can just slide it to wherever it's needed. I got a lot more floorspace now, and it looks neat too!
Again, thanks for your help!
Dirk Demon

Back