Where do you save your files?

chronicinsomnia

I have just recently started mixing to my computer and am saving my mixes to my C drive in a "my music" file. I was just wondering is that best or should I save it to something else. The songs take up space and I don't want to fill up the computer but I need a place to save them until I can burn them.

any opinions would be helpful

Burners are dirt cheap nowadays. Dude, you just gotta bite the bullet and buy one. You don't want to lose all of you music if your hard drive crashes, do you?

I wasn't clear. I am mixing down from my Tascom 424mk111 and saving the file in my music after recording to my waverecorder. So loss of music would only be loss of mix. However, I don't want to use up tons of memory on mixes. I also want to record some old tapes that I can't buy on CD to burn but, I have to save them then burn them from memory.

an external hard drive?

I think a lot of people doing home recording utilize a dedicated external hard drive. That way, your files are all in one location, not on a fragmented drive that contains lots of other apps and files. If you also have a CD burner, once the files are final and burned you can clean the mix files off the external drive (maybe burn a bunch of mix files to another blank CD just to have them as back up).

It seems you can get 40 to 80 gig hard drives these days pretty cheap.

You don't want an external hard drive. For one their expensive, and usually SCSI. So you need a controller on top of that with an external plug for the external drive.

If you only have one drive, add another drive on the Secondary IDE, write all of your audio data to that. An internal IDE drive. We may be saying the same things with confused terminology.

The internal IDE drive you add will not be for backup - for audio data only.

It's a better way of doing things.

For backup, get a CD-RW, cheap enough. Or a tape drive, slow but effective. All of these are internal devices.

If your OS drive is large enough - what I do is copy the whole project to a DIR on the OS drive as well as burn. Two backups that way.

Back