Where do you live? What's it like?

After spells of living in Glasgow and Liverpool, I lived in Derby City Centre for a couple of years with the wife before we moved back to Spondon (Th' wife is from here too, we've known each other since 4 years old) to be closer to parents who all live in Spondon.

Spondon/Derby are a great place to live. Multicultural and a very friendly place. Central England too so it's easy to get anywhere you wish to go to. We like it anyway.

Our 1886 Victorian Semi is our "until we retire home" when we'll probably move to the coast somewhere, Newquay, Cornwall most likely.

You don't want to retire to Newquay... There are way better pacaes to be in Cornwall. Some of the best places on the Planet. Newquay is not one of them.

You don't want to retire to Newquay... There are way better pacaes to be in Cornwall. Some of the best places on the Planet. Newquay is not one of them.

I don't know, there are worst places in the UK. I'm quite fond of Newquay. Spent a lot of time there over the years and it holds a lot of memories.

The good thing about down there though is everywhere is within easy reach, so even if it isn't Newquay, I can still visit easily enough.

:thumbs up:

Interesting reading about where folks live. Minerman's childhood home looks totally idyllic, and Gecko's is in a cool place too. I live out in the suburbs, but often harbour romantic ideals of moving out into the middle of nowhere. Not sure whether I'd enjoy it as much in reality though - I like having bars, cafe's etc nearby and having a tram that can get me into the centre of Manchester in about 15 minutes.

We're in the town of Stretford, just beyond the borders of Manchester in a red brick 1920s semi. Not much happens round here, but it's affordable, friendly and close to plenty of places where stuff does happen. For example, my regular running route takes me past Man Utd's ground, Old Trafford Cricket Ground, the BBC studios, the Imperial War Museum, the Coronation St set, Morrissey's childhood home, and...wait for it, Europe's largest industrial estate. One day we'll move...if we could lift up the house and relocate it somewhere less built up, we'd be fixed.

I really don't understand how you fuckers deal with all that snow. Texas has lots of things that suck about it's climate, but being snowed in like a fucking prisoner is not one of them.

Snow and cold weather isn't a huge problem in places that get six months of it every year. Roads get plowed right away, shopping areas are set up so you don't have to go outside a lot, cars have block heaters so they start even at -40, people know how to drive on slippery roads, heating in your house is made for low temperatures, that sort of thing.

The problem is places that are usually snow free but get the occasional storm. A couple of inches is enough to shut most of Southern England down for days.

I don't know, there are worst places in the UK. I'm quite fond of Newquay. Spent a lot of time there over the years and it holds a lot of memories.

The good thing about down there though is everywhere is within easy reach, so even if it isn't Newquay, I can still visit easily enough.

Being a Cornishman by birth and having lived there and still have my parents and loads of family located there I would agree to a point. During the summer months the A30 can become impassable at times so don't bank on that everywhere is reachable thing. The best place for "access all" and a wonderful city is Truro and that is central to the area you like. If you want the coast line and surf thing (which I do) then look to somewhere like Hayle or the surrounding area. Then you are nearer to the both coasts and the Lizard peninsula as well as Penzance AND on the same coast as Newquay which is about 30 minutes away. Me I will be headed back to West Penwith as soon as the kids are off our hands. On an average day on our favorite beach there can be around thirty of our family gathered there for surfing and BBQ...

Newquay has become tourist hell in the summer and stag night hell off peak. Sad because it used to be a cool place.

You will also save yourself several tens of thousands if not more by being a little away from Newquay. Win win...;)

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia, east coast of the US. Sister cities or whatever are Norfolk, Chesapeake, and through the tunnel/across the mouth of the James River, Hampton, Newport News, etc. Naturally lots of water here, beach, mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, inland waterways. Options for fishing are pretty varied and awesome, if you're into that sort of thing. It used to be considered sort of a shit and low rent place to vacation, for the family especially. Mostly singles, young couples, and wanna party for the weekend types came. Significant military presence here as well. It was kind of a shithole, but the place had a certain charm. Now they've torn down anything old, upgraded everything, everything is pay-to-play...not very locals friendly. Most if not all of my favorite old time fishing spots now have bathrooms, concession, paved & paid parking(and towing), are overrun by entitled idiots who see you as an asshole for ruining their safe fun day on the water,.....and are patrolled by the authorities, serving the public interest, dontchaknow. I think if the local govt had it their way they'd bulldoze half the city and rebuild McMansions. I rarely if ever go to the oceanfront, heavy tourist area, with the exception being sometimes when folks visit me/us/the beach from out of town. In general I find people to be annoying, clueless touristy types & weekenders, especially in large numbers. But the city gov't wanted them and now we have them. Yay.

I hate the place, and I love it. *shrug*

Being a Cornishman by birth and having lived there and still have my parents and loads of family located there I would agree to a point. During the summer months the A30 can become impassable at times so don't bank on that everywhere is reachable thing. The best place for "access all" and a wonderful city is Truro and that is central to the area you like. If you want the coast line and surf thing (which I do) then look to somewhere like Hayle or the surrounding area. Then you are nearer to the both coasts and the Lizard peninsula as well as Penzance AND on the same coast as Newquay which is about 30 minutes away. Me I will be headed back to West Penwith as soon as the kids are off our hands. On an average day on our favorite beach there can be around thirty of our family gathered there for surfing and BBQ...

Newquay has become tourist hell in the summer and stag night hell off peak. Sad because it used to be a cool place.

You will also save yourself several tens of thousands if not more by being a little away from Newquay. Win win...;)

Yeah Truro is great. I have family there, Newquay and Roche. I usually visit once every other year and spend a couple of weeks flitting about the place, traveling around. Some great beach's down there, although I usually find myself spending most of my time around Crantock and Holywell Bay.

Many a year to get through before any of that becomes a reality though so you never know, plans may change.

Yeah Truro is great. I have family there, Newquay and Roche. I usually visit once every other year and spend a couple of weeks flitting about the place, traveling around. Some great beach's down there, although I usually find myself spending most of my time around Crantock and Holywell Bay.

Many a year to get through before any of that becomes a reality though so you never know, plans may change.

My best mate has a small holding just outside Roche.. I go back home to the folks place in Penzance probably four times a year with the kids... Hate that A30 and now the airport at Newquay has gone it's even worse.

The beach I spend all my time on now and in the past is Godrevy. A proper surf beach. There and Gwithian. For rock diving we head over the coast to Kenneggy and all the coves along that stretch.. It's gonna be a few years before I'm able to move back there as the kids are only 10 and 12 and settled so...

Funny this thread popped up cos just this week we sold our place and put an offer in on a nice little place nearby with land and stables for workshops.... If it comes off then I'll post a pic or two. House moves here in the south can evaporate in hours though so I'm holding back on getting excited... We have had two moves go pear shaped on us since Christmas.

I don't envy you. Our last move was a nightmare, mainly due to incompetent solicitors on both sides. I'm now working my way through putting right all the wrongs the last divvy who lived here has done to the place. Our next move will be our last, but like I said, that'll be when we retire. Unless the wife chooses to go for a Headteachers job somewhere else. She's happy where she is for now and parents are close.

Fingers crossed you get a smooth move this time :thumbs up:

home sweet home, but I didn't grow up here, that's another story

Attachments

• catskills.jpg
    catskills.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 58
  • kaaterskill-falls.jpg
    kaaterskill-falls.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 58
  • fawns leap.jpg
    fawns leap.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 59
I don't envy you. Our last move was a nightmare, mainly due to incompetent solicitors on both sides. I'm now working my way through putting right all the wrongs the last divvy who lived here has done to the place. Our next move will be our last, but like I said, that'll be when we retire. Unless the wife chooses to go for a Headteachers job somewhere else. She's happy where she is for now and parents are close.

Fingers crossed you get a smooth move this time :thumbs up:
I hear yer... I'm happy with our solicitor. We have used them for domestic moves before and I have also used them for commercial.. I'm not confident on the upward chain right now but below it looks solid. Fingers crossed.

home sweet home, but I didn't grow up here, that's another story

Hmm. If I had to guess, I would summate my reasoning as thus: The hills seem very East coast U.S. to me. The trees don't seem southern like in the Blue Ridge around VA (A LOT more pines than I've seen in lower Virginia), so if I had to guess, it would be northern East coast U.S. like the New York Catskills or Vermont or Connecticut.

Hmm. If I had to guess, I would summate my reasoning as thus: The hills seem very East coast U.S. to me. The trees don't seem southern like in the Blue Ridge around VA (A LOT more pines than I've seen in lower Virginia), so if I had to guess, it would be northern East coast U.S. like the New York Catskills or Vermont or Connecticut.

I'm thinking Mass/NY or VT/NH. The fall foliage, rolling hills. Not sure about the trees. I don't know trees very well.

I'm a mod, I can look it up. But I won't say once I know.

[Edit: Ah, okay. I will say, I use to go pretty close to there for business all the time. Cool]

I live in Northern Alberta, Canada. It's o.k. I am originally from Nova Scotia Canada. I really miss the ocean. But the Wilderness up here is amazing. It has that same majestic mother nature kinda feeling that my native provinces ocean used to hug me with. Espically the mounatins. I love it in the mounatins. The City i live is typical nomadic industry city. Nice people though. I think the fact that people are so transient up here, really makes it easier to make friends if that makes sense. Here for a good time not a long time kind of deal you know. I should chuck some pictures up.

Back