Where do I pan the reverb in an acapella track ?

rossmcm

I have a 4-track acapella recording made on a Korg D1200 which I am editing using Audacity. I want a spacial effect of a large hall - I duplicated all 4 tracks and intend to process the second 4 with 100% wet reverb so I'll have the original 4 dry tracks and 4 corresponding reverb only tracks. My question - where is it best to pan the reverb for any particular vocal track - in the same place as the dry version? - on the opposite side? - in the centre?

Any general comments about placement of the voices in acapella stuff would also be welcome.

Thanks
Ross

For the setup you describe, I'd probably skip the 4 wet tracks and wait to aplly the hall verb to the stereo mixdown. In other words make it sound like the acapalla performance is being performed in ahall, not like each seperate track is being recorded in a seperate hall.

Mix down the dry tracks panned as desired, leaving some room on the edges of the soundstage. Then send the stereo mixdown to a quality stereo verb and pan the wet returns hard L/R (which will only mean that the left side of the stereo reverb goes left and the right side goes right.)

G.

Many thanks for the comments. I'll try that. I think with Audacity it will mean I need to export the dry mix to a stereo track then import it again and split L and R, apply reverb, then remix down.

The Korg has various reverbs available as a final effect but I've no idea where the wet stuff is panned to.

There won't be a need to split the channels. Just send the stereo mix to your Korg, make sure that the L channel is panned hard left and R, hard right. As you want reverb to fill the soundstage, again if you have separate panning controls for the reverb, pan L hard left and R hard right. There is no need for fancy trickery.

It was just as easy to apply the reverb using Freeverb2 and audacity. I did all the editing and mixing on Audacity because I had some vocal pops I needed to get rid of.

Back