where do I go from here?

stecel

Ok. So I have been slowly getting stuff for my "home studio"
I have got some stuff, but I have kind of reached the point where I don't know what I should be buying next. I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should get, and also what they would add to my recordings

To let you all know, I record all types of music, but mostly I record guitar/bass/vocals, and for drums I try to make electronic drums sound real. I also put in a few keyboard tracks here and there.

This is what I have already:

*M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard

*Computer - I don't even remember what it is, but It runs pretty reliably, it is about 1 year old.

*Guitar POD 2.0

*Behringer MX602A - (i have been using this as a mic pre-amp)

*Studio Projects C1

*Midiman Oxygen 8 midi controler

*Then I own some amps and guitars and basses

I really just don't know what I should be doing from here. I am recording some stuff that doesn't sound half bad, but since I am totally self taught, I dont have a clue what I should do for the next step.

that is pretty discouraging advice.
do you think i am taking the wrong approach? let me know, i want to do this right.

stecel said:
.....I really just don't know what I should be doing from here. ....

Well, what is that YOU want to do?

I think you should create more music. :cool:

You could buy some more "gear", if you want. :rolleyes:

Do you want to purchase some more equipment?

Do you have enough money for more equipment?

How much do you want to spend?

Once, agin it really depends on what YOU want to do........ :eek:

Peace.......

>Well, what is that YOU want to do?

>I think you should create more music.

>You could buy some more "gear", if you want.

>Do you want to purchase some more equipment?

>Do you have enough money for more equipment?

>How much do you want to spend?

>Once, agin it really depends on what YOU want to do........

>Peace.......

What do I want to do? I want to get the best possible home recording I can.

I write songs every week.

I Want to buy more equipment so my stuff sounds better.

I usually spend a few hundred bucks here and there on equipment. If its more expensive than that, It is still an option, it just might take longer to buy.

What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks alot for all the advice.

You guys are no help at all. I am 16 years old and just getting into recording, I thought that I was off to a pretty good start, but apparantly not.

Why do you guys even come on this board if you are just going to discourage people who actually need help?

stecel said:
that is pretty discouraging advice.
do you think i am taking the wrong approach? let me know, i want to do this right.

Its a horrible addiction...Right up there with Heroin and voting republican. Its too late for most of us....Save yourself...

stecel said:
Thanks alot for all the advice.

You guys are no help at all. I am 16 years old and just getting into recording, I thought that I was off to a pretty good start, but apparantly not.

Why do you guys even come on this board if you are just going to discourage people who actually need help?

Ok, stecel....Heres some advice from an old fart. Lighten the hell up and have fun with it. You have the basics covered. record, post your songs and get coments, and find out what you dont like about the sound you get....Then you can post here and ask how to fix it....if it needs fixing that is.

What you dont do is post here, ask some general questions and get pissed when nobody will tell you exactly what to do next.

stecel said:

And I come here to do exactly that...It thins out the herd and gets rid of the weak, thin skinned types so their gear can be pillaged on ebay. The alpha musicians dont get discouraged.

stecel,

Compare your mixes with commercial CDs that you think sound good. Take a CD of your stuff and some commercial (bought) CDs you like the sound of and play it in as many different things as you can, e.g., home stereo, car stereo, computer speakers, boom box, headphones.

Then come back here and ask for some specific help like:

* Why are my mixes a lot quieter than commercial CDs?
* Why are my mixes so muddy?
* I can hear the bass track well, but the kick drums get lost. Why?

Posting a file for other folks to listen to will also help them help you better.

Hang in there, it's a fun journey if you let it!

You'll go this way...

stecel said:
Ok. So I have been slowly getting stuff for my "home studio"
I have got some stuff, but I have kind of reached the point where I don't know what I should be buying next. I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should get, and also what they would add to my recordings

...I believe you'll need recording software like SONAR, Cakewalk Home Studio, Cool Edit Pro, Cubase, etc... That's a must if you wanna put your music on your computer.

To let you all know, I record all types of music, but mostly I record guitar/bass/vocals, and for drums I try to make electronic drums sound real. I also put in a few keyboard tracks here and there.

...So you need to have the software also handling Looping, Sequencing, or maybe as simple as Band In A Box... But I wouldn't recomend the last one. SONAR is way to go... ;)

This is what I have already:

*M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard

*Computer - I don't even remember what it is, but It runs pretty reliably, it is about 1 year old.

*Guitar POD 2.0

*Behringer MX602A - (i have been using this as a mic pre-amp)

*Studio Projects C1

*Midiman Oxygen 8 midi controler

*Then I own some amps and guitars and basses

...Boy, that's more than enough to make it start. But without any software, they're useless.

I really just don't know what I should be doing from here. I am recording some stuff that doesn't sound half bad, but since I am totally self taught, I dont have a clue what I should do for the next step.

Listen to Bdgr & Spinsta'... that's what you need :D :D :D

Back