Where do I go from here?

mikeyc222

I want to start my own home/project studio. I'm using a PC based system w/ Cakewalk, Cubase, and a few others. I have a Lexicon Core 2 sound card, and a few decent mics. My question is, where do I go from here? Some people tell that the first thing I need to get is good mixer, but I don't really see the point starting out because all the software I have comes with virtual mixers, and once I record the music on my PC, I can do all mastering and CD burning on it. I'm thinking about getting some nice studio monitors, but since I'm new to this I thought I would ask people who have been around for awhile. Any help would be much appreciated.

Without a mixer...

You will need a mic preamp to raise the mic signal level to be strong enough to go into the LINE IN on your soundcard.

These can range from $100 to $X depending on quality. Look at the price on a Neve preamp and you'll see...

Presonus and ART make some decent lower end models...

You will also need some good reference monitors and there are many choices there...

Make sure you look around and search the board before you commit to a set approach (PC vs mixer)...

...there are pros and cons to each.

zip >>

You are absolutely correct - get monitors! I played around for ages using PC speakers and couldn't produce anything decent. I bought a pair of active monitors and suddenly I could hear what was actually there without distortion. The difference was so great I went back and remixed everything I had ever done!

Good luck!

Mark

Agree but...

What if he meets a buddy who plays killer drums...??

...to track 6 to 10 (or more) drum mics one will need a mixer. I decided to go without one for now.

But since I have several friends who are REALLY good drummers I will eventually buy one...

choices choices choices... :)

couple of reasons for a mixer:

- preamps - you need to boost each mics signal with a preamp to get a good enough level to record (eg. you can't just run a microphone into your lexicon and get a usable signal level)
- if you ever want to record more than the 4 tracks that your lexicon will allow - you're going to need a mixer
- phantom power - this isn't absolutely necessary unless you have a condenser that won't run off of some sort of battery - but it's good to have nonetheless - this can also be provided by most preamps

I've been doing a little research and since I do need mic pres, I will be recording drums, and I do have 2 condensor mics that need phantom power I guess I have to go ahead and get a mixer. But then theres the wonderful fun of making sure I have everything EQed right before I record. The more I learn about recording, the more frustated I get.

If I were you I would try and stay away from EQing before you record the signal...once you change the sound you can never get the original 'unaltered' recording back - you have 4 tracks to record on...so unless you're submixing prior to recording (eg. you're recording more than 4 signals) you should record the signals as is from your mixer (eg. only really use the mixer for preamps) and then fool with the sound once they are recorded in your program (since all tracks will be separated)

Haven't used Cakewalk much...but I do use Cubase and the 'software' EQ is pretty good.

Also, try and get the closest sound to what you are looking for through microphone placement...you can change the sound quite a bit just by moving the mic an inch or two. In other words, don't rely on EQ to 'fix' the sound (unless you just really can't get the sound that you are looking for with the mics that you have)

Don't get frustrated...

Experiment, Learn....have fun....:)

Don't waste your money on one of those $100 Behringer mixers...the pres are crap.

Mackie / Alesis are OK - Soundcraft and Allen Heath are Good - Neve is the best. If you can afford Neve....

....float me a loan!! ;):D

If you have good pres / good mics and good mic placement you won't need a whole lot of EQ...use it sparingly!!

Here's some good reading....

http://www.studiocovers.com/articles.htm

http://www.geocities.com/shailat2000/

zip >>

I looked @ a couple of mixers last night(mackie, alesis) in about the $500 range. I have a few friends that have behringer boards and have had really good luck with them and swear they'll never go back to mackie again. Of course they spent about 3x what I can afford for their boards. Don'tcha just love the word "budget."

Back