where can I get a stereo to mono adapter?? or help with multiple monitor mixes??

Hi_Flyer

so I want to provide two seperate monitor mixes from one headphone monitor feed with my Onyx 1620 mixer. I figure I can *maybe* accomplish this with some creative panning.

For example, say I am recording two guitar players and a drummer simultaneously, each guitar player wants his own guitar in his cans... I figure I can pan each guitar hard left and right on the board, then run that stereo signal to my headphone amp. From the headphone amp, I can pan the A mix one way and the B mix panned the other way, which should isolate the respective guitars. However, the sound is only gonna come out of one side of the cans, so I want to simply sum that stereo mix to mono so it will come out of both sides of the cans...

I could probably even give the drummer a third stereo mix with both guitars if I feed both A and B mono mixes to another small mixer (like the mixer on my portastudio) and created a stereo mix from those signals.

I think all that I need is some kind of adapter to convert than stereo signal off the headphone amp to a mono signal that would come out of both sides of a pair of headphones. Does anybody know if such things exist? can I grab these at Radio Shack or Musicians Friend? Should I just try to make my own?

If anybody else knows a better way to do this, I would love to hear it. My Mackie Onyx has 4 aux busses....

I know this is going to sound like I'm being an ass, but do you still have the owner's manual? My Yamaha 10/2 gave me a bunch of diagrams in the front of it for various setups and monitoring chains.

nevermind, I just noticed that my headphone inputs work mono if you only plug a signal into one side. problem solved!

Back