Where can I find used fender bass necks?

bobbo

I have fender precision bass from the 70's that I've been playing a long time and would like to keep, but the neck is kind of warped and twisted, says the guy who did a setup for me. He said the body and electronics are still in good shape and suggested I keep my eyes out for a replacement neck for it.
Where can l look for necks? I looked a ebay and found a few for sale, but I really don't want to buy from there, I'd like to be able to look at it first.
Are there music stores that sell old necks? None in my town do.
If I do happen to find one somewhere, what would I look for to be sure that its in descent shape? Will there be a slight bend to it, or should it be straight? Can other necks besides a fender p-bass fit it too?
Thanks

If you don't mind not having a "genuine" Fender neck, then without a doubt, I would call Tommy at http://www.usacustomguitars.com . They will build you a neck to your specs for a pretty damn good price. I just finished a strat that they built the body and neck for, and the quality is amazingly good. Seriously, the fretwork, fit, etc., surpasses most of the Fender Custom shop stuff I've seen. (Brett, who does their frets, is a former Fender Custom Shop employee.) When you add in that you get to have them build to your specs (radius, fret size, neck shape, etc.) it is hard to beat.

You can also check out Warmoth, but I would definitely talk to Tommy. Tommy and almost of all of the other USA Custom guys used to work for Warmoth before leaving. (USACG's customer service is unbeatable, too.)

If you call the Fountain Valley, California Guitar Center and ask them the name of the Guitar Doctor place about 4 doors down, you could get the number of this place from information. This guy collects original Fender necks for guitars and basses. I have seen 100s of necks in his shop. Not copies, originals that have lost their bodies along the way. Sorry I could not remember the exact name of the place but its the Guitar Doctor something or other.

Other than that there are literally hundreds of places, some on ebay that sell guitar neck replacements. Here is one link:http://www.stewmac.com/

Back