Where are the Main Mix channels?

UncleWaldo

Okay, total dolt question here (is my noob showing?):

I've got an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 running into my Mac (10.5.8) and GarageBand '08.

Ok, so I've just realized I only get a dry signal from the mixer ( via USB 2.0 recording the individual channel).

I'm reading the manual and it talks about sending the "8 individual channels plus the Main Mix channels for a total of 10 channels via USB 2.0."

Question: where are the "Main Mix" channels? My only choices in GarageBand are Mono mixes from Channels 1-10 or Stereo mixes from 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8. Where would I find my Main Mix channels?

The primary reason I want the Main Mix channels is because I want to use outboard processing (compression, expander, exciter) which sounds really nice on the mixer... but I only get the dry signal via USB 2.0. Hell, it won't even send it's own effects via USB.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hi folks,

Problem solved. Spent the morning testing the input sources. Looks like Stereo 9/10 actually pics up the board and the rack unit effects.

The main mix is your master outputs. All 8 tracks mixed at whatever levels the track faders are set to. It's the stereo output you'd send to a PA, monitors, or whatever..

Also, it's GOOD to record a dry signal, you can add fx later on while mixing. You can't remove fx if you record them too thick or whatever.. And any plugins you use will probably be better than the fx on the alesis.

Back