Where am I losing gain?

Merverus

hi guyz! i would appreciate any thoughts on my problem...

MY PROBLEM IS THIS: when i'm trying to record my keyboard, the signals being recorded are not hot enough.

here is my SETUP:

keyboard (yamaha ex5) digital (AES/EBU) out directly into lynxone digital in. i'm recording using cubase 3.75r2. i'm not using a mixer. i'm operating a PC running win98.

when i record a single voice being played on the keyboard, even with all keyboard settings at max (IE - fader at volume, general volume at max etc.), the most that the meters on the lynxone mixer (and in cubase) register is about -6db. this makes for very quiet recordings, that i then have to boost with plugins that distort the sound.

i don't think it's a problem with what's coming out of the keyboard for the following reasons:

1) i have tried recording the analog outputs from the keyboard going directly into the XLR analog inputs on the lynxone and although the signal is a bit louder (i max at about -4db), it is still quite weak.

2) when i connect the analog outputs from the keyboard into an amp (40w), it is VERY LOUD, even when the settings on the keyboard and on the amp are low; other users on a discussion board for the ex5 have confirmed that nobody is having trouble with the output levels coming out of their keyboards, and on the contrary, they have to reduce the settings on the keyboard significantly when recording into the computer in order to avoid distortion. i might add that many are using soundcards such as the AWE64 and some lower end ECHO products. moreover, the people at yamaha as well as the people at the store where i bought the keyboard say that the outputs on the keyboard should be more than enough for me to be able to reach 0db.

3) i have tried recording using windows sound recorder and, although there are no meters, the signal is equivalent to what i get when using cubase, plus the lynxone mixer meters confirm a -6db signal, so it's probably not an ASIO problem.

so, i was wondering what you guys might think the problem is? assuming it's not a problem with the output from the board, where am i losing gain?

thanks in advance,

idan

Does your keyboard have a digital output volume control?

Another thing. I believe that a lot of sounds on keyboards are intentionally sampled and stored in at a lower volume so that you may combine two sounds together and not overload the D/A converters.

As to your mixed results, I wouldn't know. If you would like to verify that your soundcard is working correctly, I have a recording/playback program that Lynx sent me to troubleshooting their cards. Very small application, and works very well. Uses 4 32KB buffers is all. Use 1MB of Ram. Has meters, etc.... E-mail me and I will send it to you. If everything works well using this application, then you can assume the card works well.

Ed
echostar@pacifier.com

Back